1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuilsQ, Mar 25, 2010.

1. QuilsQ

I came out to my parents and my parents told everybody in the family. I have to face the rest of the family at a dinner tomorrow night. I don't know how they are going to react or what questions they are gonna ask and I'm fearing the worst. What advice can you give me?

2. Zumbro

Just remember that you can't change who you are. It isn't a choice, and hiding it is not good for your health.

If they ask how you know, just ask them how they knew they were straight, and that usually puts it in perspective for them, but other than that I don't really know any great answers for the common questions. Be honest with them, and remember that it isn't a phase and you can't be changed. They'll need time to get used to it, probably years, but don't go backwards.

3. Spectre

It's good that you are fearing the worst. Because then, when anything but the worst comes to pass, it's a pleasant surprise!

My advice: Act like you normally would prior to coming out. If they ask questions, answer them as honestly as you can (within reason of course). Just try not to get caught up in any emotions.

Good luck!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there's a good possiblity no one will mention it because it would be awkward or embarrassing or whatever for them. But if someone does bring it up, just be factual and honest.

And remember, even though you may be around adults, you have a perfect right to your privacy, and particularly with matters that concern your sexuality and sexual identity, nobody has any rights to ask anything. You don't even need to answer whether you've had or have a boyfriend or girlfriend or anything if you don't fee like it.

Sometimes people start asking really graphic questions, like "well do you like having a penis up your butt" or "are you the boy or the girl" or something like that, or even "Well, have you had sex with a girl or a guy yet? How can you know? I think, with any of those questions, rather than answering and then having to justify yourself, you can just gracefully say "That's something i really don't feel comfortable talking about, thank you." and they will hopefully take the hint.

I promise it will get a lot easier after the first few days. :slight_smile:

#4 Chip, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off: Congratulations on coming out to your parents. :slight_smile:

I guess my question would be, how did your coming out to your parents go? Where they supportive/accepting or do they need time to adjust, or a combination of both?

What are your family's views on homosexuality or LGBT? I think that will give you a way in, in terms of preparing for the evening and trying to think about potential questions. Is your family religious?

If your parents reacted well, and are supportive, chances are that the rest of your family is going to be okay too. Maybe a few members might have to get used to the idea and need to come around to it, but the chances are that they will come around.

Did your parents ask you any questions? Maybe start with those.

Try to stay calm and relaxed. Maybe no one will mention anything and it will be just a regular dinner evening. If you do get a few questions, just be honest and answer them as best as you can.

6. adam88

7. Sylver

You have received so much good advice in this post! I want to particularly highlight what Spectre said, just be honest with them - it's amazing how well that works. And honesty includes Chip's advice, saying that you're not comfortable answering that question. That way you're not lying to them!

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost certainly no questions will be asked. If they are, do your best to NOT take any of them personally. Generally, people ask questions because they're curious, and they haven't had the chance to ask anybody yet. So if they ask something like "are you the boy or the girl?", you can just laugh a bit and say "I haven't really had the chance to find out yet" or "that's the sort of thing I think I should keep in the bedroom".

Lex

9. Prccgeek

I would just try to act like your normal self. It might be hard b/c you are nervous, but that will show them that guess what?... you are your normal self. you are the exact same guy...they just know a bit more about you. If they ask questions, answer them calmly and honestly and hopefully they will react well. Good Luck :slight_smile:

10. QuilsQ

Thanks everyone for your input. Everything went fine and my orientation did come up. I was honest with everyone and they seemed to take it well.

11. Sylver

Yay you!! (!) There's rarely a time when honesty isn't the best policy!

12. Jim1454

That's awesome! I'm glad it went well in the end.

13. fabu2113

fabu2113 Guest

That is a great way to face people just be yourself. Let them know that nothing has changed and that your the same great person you were before you came out. I hope you have great days ahead of you filled with joy, now that you are out and I also hope you make great friends, that will bring you happieness to your life.(*hug*)