1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia. Should I deal with it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheEdend, Mar 26, 2010.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Let's start by saying that I recently came out so I haven't really gotten much crap from anyone really. I go to a small school of 600 people and it makes it easier for people to accept each other.

For the first time yesterday I was hit in the face with homophobia. People riding my bus started telling me the things my bus driver has been saying once I get off the bus or as I get off of it. She has been making fun of me out loud (always after I leave or else I would have confronted her) on the bus and was even bold enough to tell the other guys on the bus that talking to me made them "weird like him."

I feel like I have to say something to my guidance counseler or assitant principal to try and do something about it. Before I do anything though, I want to know if I'm overreacting or not. I really don't know.

I was thinking of just going up to someone in administration and go after her for harssment. What do you guys think?

2. gemerency

definently not over reacting. a school's atmosphere is supposed to be neutral or supportive of everybody unless its a crime. Letting your bus driver get away with it could spawn the seeds of homophobia in the younger people riding the bus.

i would tell somebody

3. Sylver

You absolutely have to say something, for your sake and for the sake of any others like you in your school. This is unacceptable behavior for a school employee. You don't have to file a formal complaint or anything (yet), just raise this with a counselor, a teacher that you trust or your principal. But yes, say something!

4. Connor22

how about trying to just let her have her fun, she's stupid and everyone knows it, so just let her have her fun, soon enough she'll realise that she's alone and noone supports her views and stop, unless there are people who do support her, are there? and how long has this been going on for?

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I can't speak for all of them really and I haven't been on the bus to see how she goes about everything. My friend did stand up to her and she implied that only anotther gay would stand up for me XD It hasn't gone for long as far as I know, but not sure.

I don't really understand how she even found out. Some weird 50 year-old bus driver that keeps up with highschool gossip -_-

What really irks me is how she never says anything when I'm there. Oh, did I mention she complains about people being racist against her race yet she turns around and does this.

I agree with you James. A stupid kid I can handle,but in the bus she has the "power" and feels like she can say anything she wants.

6. Jim1454

Someone who is employed by the school board - directly or indirectly - should NOT talk like this. Ever. And your school SHOULD be told. Talk to your friends from the bus and have them document what she is saying - make notes with dates - and then take it to the school administration. She obviously needs some sensitivity training.

7. lostinthought9

No, you're not overreacting. I would definitely tell someone. As a school employee, she has no right saying things like that. (and not saying it to your face doesn't make it "okay" to say bad things like that about a student).

Let us know what you decide to do, and keep us updated!

8. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ignore it ! Simply because, you cant fight ignorance ! I have tried that .. Trust me it doesnt work ! Just dont think about it much .... Why do you care what they think about you anyway?

9. Beachboi92

In a high school environment it is especially important to face ignorance like that. As an employee of the school she is not aloud to act like that, even kids in the school will prob be punished if they are caught harassing anyone about race, gender, or sexual orientation. Here is what will prob happen if you do report her....
    1) She could get fired (which frankly she deserves considering what she is doing is harassing a student and pushing her religious/political views on other kids)
    2) sensitivity training, which i think works considering i reported a major douche for harassing me one time and now he doesn't say anything offensive like that, that i have heard
    3) She get's the training and then if it happens again she gets fired

it all depends on your schools policy although i believe federal law protects LGBT people from discrimination in that situation.
    Regardless you need to stand up to show that that kind of harassment and action will not be tolerated. Hell if i ran into this lady i'd tear her a new one, make fun of her until she cries, then report her, i have no tolerance for anyone who would talk behind someones back like that. Especially considering she is supposed to be an adult, and she is pushing her view points on impressionable kids, is a system where she isn't aloud to do that legally. In fact i'd let her know she is getting reported just because for some reason this whole thing is pissing me off beyond belief.

But def report her and take a stand, it may be kind of hard or feel weird but it is worth it. I was in a very similar situation and do not regret turning that person in one bit.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to try and do something about it. Already told my friends to write what she said down and they agreed to be witnesses if need be. I'm going to talk to a teacher just in case I need some support and then talk to my guidance counselor.

@rahulxxx: Is not that I care about what she thinks. Is that I hate how she is acting. She has the right to her own opinion and I'm not trying to make her like me. However, she doesn't the right to harass anyone. Specially a student at a school she is working at right now. Like I said, if it would have been any other kid then whatever, why bother, but is not a kid.

Will keep you guys updated on what happens or on what doesn't happen. Thanks again :slight_smile:

11. RaeofLite

Good for you. Don't tolerate hatred. No one should have to tolerate hatred or remarks from anyone at place that's supposed to be supportive while you grow up. ESPECIALLY staff.

I hope things work out for you. :slight_smile:

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this.

13. donnie5

like others have said on here her behavior is completely inappropriate not only should you not have to deal with that but she should definatley be reported

14. EM68

You have received some great advice. I would say something to your guidance councilors or school administrators. Are you out to your parents? If you are talk to them about it also. Good luck.

15. EWU2012

Another thing you should have the people on the bus do is try to use a camera or their phone to record what she is saying once you get off. That would be the best evidence against her because then she couldnt say she didnt say the those things. I would even wait to show the videos until after the fact to see if she lies about the whole situation.

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^^ I was thinking about that, but my bus driver is one of those people that LOVE to follow every single rule even if it makes no sense at all. She can't see any electronics or we get them taken away.

17. EWU2012

I would still try to have someone record it. If the phone/camera is taken away they could just let the school know why they had it out. I would at least try to get her voice. The school really needs to know what is going on because like others have said it just isn't right for a school employee to say things.