1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roommate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Mar 30, 2010.

1. So im considering coming out to a friend of mine whose a guy, but I dont know when. See, next week Im going on a school trip with him to Toronto, and we are rooming together. Idk if I should wait until after the trip or not. I would like to do it before, but im afraid the whole rooming with a gay guy thing will creep him out. He is also kinda churchy so I dont know if that would effect it either.

2. RaeofLite

Well have you talked to him about various gay issues or shows? Just to gauge his reaction to how he might feel about gay people. Do you know him really well? If he's been a good friend of yours for years, I would say go for it. Better to get things in the open before you move in (if he reacts badly) than to have one of you have to move out after you come out.

3. Sylver

First off, can I presume that you're only rooming with him for the duration of the trip and not after that, i.e. he's not a permanent roommate that you're living with?

If so, I'd say that unless you have a good reason for doing it promptly, you might want to wait until after the field trip. Not out of shame, but rather just to come out to him in a less awkward environment. For example if after you tell him he needs some time to work through it, you'd be doing him a disservice by immediately putting him in close quarters. So if you can at all wait, I would. It's only a couple of weeks!

4. Zumbro

I would say wait until after the trip, just to be safe and so it isn't awkward if he reacts poorly. You might end up telling him on the trip though. If you're sharing a room, that means you'll have plenty of time where just the two of you will be hanging out, probably later at night when you do the "let's go to sleep, but we're really going to talk for 4 hours" thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: