1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Jokes

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justindee13, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Justindee13

Does it even bother you when people use faggot or gay in a joking term such as, ur gay if hit that ball, and dont be a faggot, or shaggot it faggot. It is pissing me off and i dont know how to respond etc. How do you get over it or do u just laugh it off. Just wondering please let me know.
    thanks a bunch(*hug*):kiss:

2. Prccgeek

Those kind of phrases do make me angry. However, gay jokes/silly stereotyping don't always bother me. If it comes from a person and you can tell it is actually mean-hearted then I get pretty offended. However, if one of my friends, especially if they are gay themselves, makes says, "wow, that outfit is crazy gay!" (meaning gay not stupid.) or calls someone there faghag it doesn't bug me as much. Cuz i know they are actually accepting. It is a really fine line though. sometimes a laugh at it and get sot of offended at the same time. I think that generally, unless you are with knowing accepting friends, it is pretty bad to joke like that. and I really just don't like the word fag. (unless in faghag which I have to say...I have never heard that term used badly..never! It is always about their love of their female followers.) But I do think that people should be a lot more sensitive and think before they speak.

3. QuilsQ

I don't like it when people use the word faggot. The gay jokes doesn't bother that much but I don't like that word. When I hear things like that I just pretend I didn't hear it. Prccgeek is absolutely right when she said that people should be more sensitive and think before they speak.

4. egnvectr

egnvectr Guest

It really bothers me. people just don't think about what they're saying. they just assume that no one who's listening is gay or will be offended.

5. Mogget

I hate it. And I don't usually have the energy to call people out when I know I'll either have to explain why it's offensive, or worse, explain why the fact that they don't mean it as an insult to gay people doesn't mean it isn't.

6. RaeofLite

If the person saying the comments doesn't look like they could bash my head in and what not and they're within speaking distance, I'll almost always call them on it. Tell them that "gay" shouldn't be an insult, and that 'fag or dyke' are harmful words and they should before they speak.

Then again, I'm out, so I'm not afraid to retaliate if someone says, "Oh yea? What are you, gay?" then I'll be like, "Yea, I am."

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, don't even let it get to you. It's pointless. People are dumb and always going to hate on people different than themselves. "You nigger" "You fag" "You Jew"

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's somewhat generational.

I personally find the word "queer" more bothersome (at a gut level) than "fag." "queer" means, according to the dictionary, "strange, odd, questionable, suspicious, shady". "Faggot" means "a bundle of sticks" Of course both have their gay-related definitions, but personally I'd rather be a bundle of sticks than suspicious and shady. :slight_smile:

Among my friends (who range in age from late teens to 50s), we regularly say things like "Oh, you're wearing the faggiest outfit ever" or "That was about the gayest mannerisms I've ever seen you make" or similar things that embrace all of the gay stereotypes, because, honestly, so many of them are rooted in truth. I (and my friends) find them amusing and funny and don't get the slightest bit offended when someone uses the terms.

Now... if someone on the street yells "faggot" at me... I just laugh it off. Because, honestly, it's pathetic. If I'm in a particularly defiant mood (which hasn't happened often) I'll stop and turn to him and say "Yes. And... your point is...?" and usually the person is embarrassed and says nothing or turns away. I have a hard time getting really upset at comments like that because I also realize that, quite often, the people who are yelling that, just like the loser Republicans who are so violently anti-gay, are often closeted faggots. :slight_smile: Or else they're ignorant. And when I think of them either way, I just feel compassion for them.

9. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    this helps me, I just consider every one as a monkey so these monkeys go around saying stupid gay jokes , eh what do they know they are monkeys!

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends apologize to me if they say "gay" in front of me which I find silly because I don't mind it whatsoever. But if someone uses the word faggot, then I'm ready to hit someone.

11. Connor22

Ditto

12. Gaetan

"That's so gay," never really bothers me. It rubs me the wrong way, yes, and I really think people should stop--but I'm not going to be a jerk about it. If someone around me (especially in online games) says something about something being gay, I'll often respond, "I don't think the monster's sexual orientation has any bearing on whether or not it gave you the item you wanted."

However, it has become almost normal for me to be the butt of gay jokes among my friends. They're never malicious, and some are actually quite funny.

13. Zach1992

I'm fine with gay jokes & I think some of them are funny. But people just throwing around gay, fag & faggot irritates me. It irritates me even more when they say no offense right after saying it.

14. Alex19

i hate it when ppl i dont know use it. only cause i dont know how they mean it. when im around my friends then i obviously know. ofcourse, i wish ppl wouldnt say shit like that at all. but thats hoping for too much

15. starbucksshoote

Hmmm... well, no, not really, I'm not bothered by it. When my friends say it, like if they say lame, I know that isn't meant as an insult to disabled people. It's like when you're hanging with friends, you have some drinks, and then someone says "no, I don't need another one" and someone shouts "don't be a girl!". I'm certain that some people find that offensive, but I don't, in the same way I don't think "lame" or "gay" is offensive. But that's just me - I'm one of those people who doesn't get offended, I get pissed off! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have a gay friend who really dislikes it when people use gay as an insult - he attempted to fight back by saying "that's so vagina". It was stupid, and quite frankly, it's not equivalent (that's so straight, being the one he should have used).

I find that women don't tend to use the phrase "that's so gay", only men. And when you're hanging with guys, I find they spend most of the conversation being insulting - it's how they roll.

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It really depends on who is saying it. It usually doesn't bother me though. Sometimes I do reply, "ya, that is so straight" and people give me weird looks, but it helps me not be an ass about it haha

Like people said before though. Fag or faggot really piss me off. Doesn't matter who says it. Also, I sometimes say that is so gay by mistake xD

17. BasketCase

Context is everything.

I generally dont find 'thats so gay' insulting. I even find it a little funny at times.

'Faggot' really depends on the context of the conversation (Or the situation) so it can be really offensive or it can be nothing.

18. zzzzzz13

The only time im ever bothered by gay jokes is when they are meant in a nasty way.

Im always joking around, and every now and again do get some gay jokes from my mates. But tbh they are always meant to be funny so ive never had a problem with it :slight_smile:

19. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the same way, they only bother me when the are said out of malice. Me and my roommates do joke around sometimes, but one of my roommates sometimes takes things to far and becomes passive aggressive(He's the one who still has issues with me being gay).

20. Bradley James

Ditto to the above. I've also been known to call things "gay" when I'm not happy with something.