1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other People

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuilsQ, Apr 1, 2010.

1. QuilsQ

Recently I came out and noticed immediately that things are different. I feel better about myself but now when I'm out in public people make fun of me. I don't know how to do with people constantly calling me names and being discriminated against. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

2. fallendream

Ignore them.
    Don't yell back, don't fight back or anything - just go about your day with pride and comfort in yourself.

These people will get bored within weeks if not days so good luck :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We need a little bit of clarification here. If people didn't make fun of you in public before, and now they do, something must be different, unless you suddenly went on local TV and took print ads saying "I'M GAY" or something... people generally don't notice or care.

So are you drawing attention to the fact you're gay in some way, or by "in public" do you mean at school, and if so, what grade level are you speaking of?

The solutions to the problem are very different depending on what's going on.

4. Sylver

Are you maybe just more sensitive to it now but they've always ribbed you in the past? Or as Chip says are you trying to be "out there"? How do these people know that you're gay?

5. QuilsQ

In the neighborhood everybody knows everybody so word gets around. When I walk outside my house people yell fag at me and at school the same thing.

6. Sylver

Wow, that's a close-knit neighborhood!

All I can tell you is what I'd do, keeping in mind that I'm more of a pacifist than a fighter. For the next week or two I would ignore them and go about my business, or maybe give them the finger if they really piss me off. But I wouldn't make much out of it. There's a very good chance that once everyone has their "fun" it will blow over and they'll move on to the next topic of conversation and/or ridicule.

At that point you might want to pull your true friends aside and talk to them about this so you can gauge how the important people in your life feel about you, and to make sure you have some allies. There's always the possibility that one or two jerks will keep it up longer than the rest, and this is where you can leverage some assistance from your local fan club - there's strength to be found in numbers.

Now if you want to learn how to fight back or tell them off, might I suggest asking malachite or Connor22 for some advice - both of these guys are scrappers and will be only too glad to give you some pointers! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: