1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed messages... help please!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Mugwump

There's this girl I have liked for about 6 months now... She's 10 years older than I am, which is a big gap I think. We have a lot in common, and we get on well. I feel great when I am around her, and I love attention from her. I feel that although I like her, it is more of a sister-type relationship that we have. She looks out for me when I'm out at clubs, and calls me 'sweet' and 'little' etc. I think it's probably quite obvious that I like her. She also knows that I'm single and have never had a gf/kissed before and that I want to.

Tonight she messaged me to check if I was going to the same event that she was going to (which I was). She calls me sweety and winks etc in her messages. During the night she managed to slap my back-side, put her arm around me, tickle my back and lift me up. She seemed quite keen to meet up for coffee again soon too when I offered. Problem is I am scared of getting my hopes up... surely if she liked me she would have done something about it by now, given the above information. I can't work out if she likes me that way or not... and if she does, what's stopping her? And if she doesn't, why is she giving me these messages?! She has a long distance relationship that I don't think is going anywhere, so that might be a problem, but yeah... Ideas? I don't want to get hurt of lose a friend.

2. flymetothemoon

She could be interested just like you, and be hoping that you'll pick up on the signals and ask her out. Maybe she's wondering why you haven't done anything and can't quite make out if you like her that way too...honestly I'd say the best thing is probably just to talk to her about it. Ask her if she wants to go out sometime as a date, and tell her you understand if she doesn't and you still want to be her friend either way, but you would love if she did want to. Be prepared to accept either answer, though, if you're not sure how she feels.

3. RaeofLite

^^ This.

Also, maybe she's a bit shy and isn't sure if you'd be ready for a relationship with another woman since you haven't had one before. And maybe she's worried you wouldn't be interested since she's older. Just have a chat with her. Tell her you're interested and take initiative. Grab life by the balls-er... boobs(?) and ask her out. It shows you have the maturity and are interested right away. You will never know for sure how she feels, but it seems she is sending all the signals. But tack on the "but if you don't feel the same way, I understand and would still like to remain friends" bit just incase. :slight_smile:

#3 RaeofLite, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think those above me have given great advice, I thought I would just add that if she is in a long distance relationship (I think you said that was the case) however dead ended that may be it is quite possible that she wouldnt do anything more than flirt with you before she has actually ended it, perhaps she is testing the water with you before she actually ends the long distance thing.
    I also think it is probably very true that if she knows you are nervous and inexperienced she doesnt want to freak you out or push you too far, which is a great thing, as the others have said its best to talk to her save you the dilema of does she doesnt she.

5. Mugwump

Thanks guys :slight_smile: I'll try to get up the guts to talk to her... having coffee tomorrow!

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose you could try and be inquisitive into how she stands on the relationship she is in, like ask her how it is going and stuff and maybe you showing interest into her availability might prompt her to guessing you are interested.

7. Chandra

This was my first thought. Also, the fact that she is 10 years older than you might make her hesitant to make the first move. I know I would feel like a bit of a creeper hitting on someone 10 years my junior.

8. Mugwump

Here's an UPDATE:

I went for breakfast with her this morning. She quite quickly told me that her gf had broken up with her a few weeks ago. I also asked her about someone else she was meeting today and she said "oh, it's not a date or anything". So I think it seems like she is trying to make herself appear available...? She didn't do anything flirty today though. At the end she gave me a kiss and a hug goodbye and said I should message her any time and she would like to meet up again soon.

... So obviously I didn't get around to asking her today! But I'm sensing maybe she could be putting feelers out at least. Maybe, as Chandra said, she doesn't want to make the first move. Hmmm... anyway, I am excited but trying not to get my hopes up!