1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My uncle...(religion related)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 5, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So my uncle by marriage has this thing: if he thinks something ive written on facebook is offensive to him, he will nag and bitch at me until I give up and go crying to my mother.

In my family, the way it used to be was: never ever contradict your elders, never speak up for yourself, the older people in the family are all-knowing and you have no voice.

I got tired of that and if someone insulted me I;d stand up for myself. a lot of the family (excluding my mom) didnt like that.

So if I post anything at all on facebook that he doesnt like, he'll give me hell for it. Most recently, I wrote "Happy Zombie Jesus Day!" on facebook, as a joke surrunding the whole resurrection thing. I feel that to anyone with even half a brain, it was clearly just a joke.

Not to him. He flipped out and started saying that i was spewing hate speech. Excuse me?! Zombie Jesus is HATE speech?

What should I do? I'm still defending my right to call jesus a zombie if I want, and hes still bitching at me. SHould i drop it, delete him from facebook? i dont know. FYI this isnt the first time. Last time me getting my tongue pierced was somehow offensive to him and he chewed me out for that too. In addition my mom doesnt care what i say. she thinks its funny.

2. Ben

Ben

I think there's a security option to stop certain people seeing certain parts of your Facebook under the privacy section. Maybe you should block your status updates from him

3. Connor22

lol 'zombie Jesus'

sorry had to get that out first, I suggest talking to him, send him a message asking what his problem is and why does he get so worked up over little things, jokes etc. ask him does he not think God has a sense of humour, if he gives you hell for being an upiddy peasant, then give him the silent treatment, don't delete him, that would be the beginnings of isolating him, just tell him if he's going to act so immature and get constantly get worked up over silly things then he shouldn't bother talking to you, then just ignore whatever he says unless it begins with the words "look, I am sorry..." or something to that effect

4. Zach1992

Most of the time when religion comes into play I tell them to fuck off & thenb make fun of them behind their backs.

5. adam88

Drop him from facebook, unless you like rubbing things in his face.

6. MusicIsLife

hey guys.

I didnt want to delete him from facebook, i think that would just make it worse. I wouldnt put it past him to go crying to my mom. But i did block him from seeing pretty much everything on my page except for my profile picture and birthday.

7. Zach1992

I can't wait until I'm fully out & I decide to add my bible thumping uncle because it would give me so much to laugh about...

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^^ hahaha xD

I think you can just ignore him completely on FB. If he confronts you about it then you can explain to him how he makes you feel. If he still doesn't care about your opinion then tell him that he either has to respect yours or not look at your FB. It really is that simple. You have your mom backing you up so is not like you will be alone one about dealing with the situation like this.

Just try and handle it as if he wasn't your uncle but just a really annoying friend of yours.

9. padre411

I vote with the "break the friendship" option on facebook.

I'm not sure Jesus was a zombie but I am willing to go there with Lazarus. :slight_smile:

My most irreverent joke is to call communion wafers "Christ Chrispies."

Mike

#9 padre411, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you said he'll fight until you give up, then don't give up. Show him you're not backing down. and let him know that in the end you'll out live him, so you'll still be right.

11. MusicIsLife

Sooo I just got an email from my aunt. Apparantly I insulted him so much that he doesnt want me to come to any more family events where he plans to attend.

Who knew the undead could be so insulting? lmao. I emailed her back and told her I really do not regret anything I have said, including telling my uncle to "grow a pair and quit trying to chew out someone 20 years younger than you." It was effective in shutting him up regardless.

12. Zach1992

He sounds like an overgrown baby.

13. RaeofLite

Is this the same guy you were worried about having your Pride flag up around when he came to visit a while ago?

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ahhh....upright relatives. I've got a few of them! :tantrum: I think you did the best thing!

15. MusicIsLife

No, different relative. But according to my aunt this disagreement made him so mad that he never wants to see me again.

16. Zach1992

I wouldn't avoid him at all. If he is somewhere you want to be then go. Tell him to get the stick out of his ass.

17. MusicIsLife

I'm not planning on it. He lives in ottawa so i only see him a couple times a year anyway.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

His loss :slight_smile:
    good for you. Just make sure to keep attending those events. If he doesn't want to see you then he is the one that shouldn't attend.

19. KatieIt

All I have to say is: good riddance! :eusa_clap

It really is pointless to argue with such people. They'll never understand, they'll never learn. I had something similar happen with someone on FB who wrote that "showing perverted (meaning: homosexual) relationships on TV can harm the development of *normal* children"
    I mean, WTF? After hours of arguing with no result, I simply removed her from my friends list :dry:

20. Holmes

I think you should appreciate the changes in attitudes that have taken place in his lifetime. It's unfortunate you didn't use the privacy settings before this, but I could understand why he'd be annoyed. I'm not religious at all, but I still think it's worthwhile being conscious of others' feelings.

He wanted to be FB friends with you in the first place. Of all things to cause trouble in the family, this probably really isn't worth it. If some relative was annoyed at you being openly gay, or something, that would be worth taking a stand over. I think you should write to him, tell him that you had only intended that for your peers and wasn't trying to offend his beliefs. I think SexualTeen is taking too hard a line on this. Your uncle may be acting childish, but it does bother him because of what he sincerely believes. Don't push irreligion in his face unnecessarily, what good does that do anyway. You can't expect to have the same discourse with someone 20 years your senior as one of your friends on an issue like this.