1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom knows...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mydogstewie, Apr 11, 2010.

1. mydogstewie

I think my mom has suspected for a while that i'm bisexual. For example:

I was watching a video on DADT and she asks: "Why are you watching something on gays in the military?" "Because I am" Then I got all mad and told her to mind her own business.

The next day she starts buying these books on, "How to raise a boy, and I saw her reading the part, "What if my son is gay?"

I'm so sick of her being on my case, I want her to just leave me alone. It's none of her business.

Should I just say I'm bisexual, now stop being paranoid?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, just from those two examples, I don't see a single indication that she's "on your case" in the slightest. She may have asked if you were watching that program as an opening to you. It doesn't sound like she pressed you after you responded, so she presumably backed off. And yeah, she might be reading the "if your son is gay" part of books, but apparently, her son is gay. :slight_smile: And she's not saying "I'm reading this in case you're gay...which you better not be." She's getting herself prepared. She's reading up. She sounds like she might be fairly cool with everything. Many kids here would kill for parents who would go read up on having a gay kid, and give them openings.

Should you come out to her? I'd say it depends on your comfort level. If you think you could have an adult-style conversation about it with her, then go for it. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there
    Have you given any thought to your mums reaction if she found out.Is she prety accepting of gay people in general? Is she homophobic/religious with a bad view of gays?

If you believe she could be accepting of you, then you could confirm what she already seems to know.But you say you are 90% gay on your profile and say in your post "tll her im bisexual",well my advice would be while having that DREADED chat with her you should be honest as this will only keep her hopes up for a girlfriend,and then mean you have to come out AGAIN as gay.

You dont sound to be in to bad a sittuation if she has got herself some reading on the subject and let you see her reading it.Sounds to me like a simple"look mum,you seem to have worked out im gay before any of this is clear in my own mind yet,i may well be bi or gay but only time will tell".Then again if you are clear you know and ready to tell her then be honest and open to questions etc

Good look but only come out when YOU are ready for all possiblities.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like to me, your mom is only trying to understand you and your sexuality is a part of that. And it sounds like you had a small case of angsty teen in this particular situation where your mom asked why you were watching something and you acted as if she should never speak to you again and she was out of line for asking.

Most parents just ignore and deny the fact that their children might be gay, your mom sounds like she just wants to be prepared for when you do actually tell her that you're bi or gay (it's up to you, but your profile says 90% gay, yet you say you're bisexual lol)

5. QuilsQ

It sounds like she knows and she is giving you the opportunity to come out to her. She is probably letting you know that she supports you and she loves you.

6. BasketCase

She may have been concerned that you wanted to join the military.

7. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hang in there.. .. .. Just tell her how you are feeling now.