1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Law of GTA

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fargo, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Fargo

Fargo Guest

My brother in the fall of 09 bragged to me that he stole a vehicle. He brought home with him the steering wheel bar and the keys that opened at least the bar. The other key must have been the key to the vehicle as he says he drove it and his friend crashed it into a ditch. If I report him to the police now, could I be in trouble for having not said anything earlier? Or is it because I had no association with the offense that I am not involved in the crime at all and can't be held responsible in anyway? He has also bragged about breaking into cars and stealing money and other stuff. He also brought the stuff he stole home and showed me it. Such as two film canisters filled with loonies and toonies which he said added up to about $60 and a radio transmitter for an iPod. If I told the police this, would it be just circumstantial evidence, or what if I brought in one of the stolen objects? I also took and hid the steering wheel bar and keys and am planning on giving that to the cops. If the vehicle was stolen like he said he did, and those were included in the victim's police report, could those be used as evidence? Or would they consider the possibility of it not being from a stolen vehicle (am I making any sense?). I was also wondering, if I called the rcmp detachment ahead of time to find out if there was a vehicle stolen in the fall of 09, would they tell me? Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. Jim1454

Some (most?) communities have Crimestoppers tip line, where you can call about crimes and remain anonymous. You might want to look into that.

3. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Good idea, thanks.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure you should have touched it simply because of prints....

5. olides84

Um, there's a lot more behind this question methinks. Are you mad at your brother or something, trying to get revenge on him? Sounds like this might bring up lots of trouble for you (and your brother of course).

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree with this.

Anyways, the justice system is not at all interested in car break-ins / thefts, particularly if the offender is under 18, thanks to the "Youth Criminal Justice Act". In a local case, it wasn't until a stoned teen with dozens... DOZENS of prior charges for stolen vehicles actually killed a hard working mother while driving a stolen car before the justice system noticed him. He was actually charged as an adult in that case, served a pathetic 4.5 year sentence, and was released. On release everyone in the justice system said he had no self improvement, so now he's out on the streets ready to kill more people.

As someone who had someone cause $200 damage to my 8 year old car to steal under $50 worth of stuff, tell your brother he's a worthless human being.

7. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Oh to me, he is the skid mark on societies underwear.

8. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

becareful...this could land him in juvi.....would you really want to do that to your brother? even if he is a skid mark on societies undies? :icon_sad: and if he finds out it was you who turned him in...that will mess your relationship up big time...especially trust issues...:eek:

maybe sit down and talk to him...tell him this is not a good path to follow...which will lead him to more criminal activities later in life which = jail time....tell him to stop doing these things for the adrenaline rush, money, or what have you...or you will turn him in..

9. Fargo

Fargo Guest

He doesn't listen. He won't even listen to my mom after she cries over it, and apparently he cries on the phone with her too. But he thinks he's untouchable because he hasn't been caught. I don't even consider him my brother anymore because he has stabbed me in the back so many times. I don't care if he loses his trust for me, if he even has any because tbh, I don't give a shit about him. He needs to goto jail and see what he has done is wrong. He knows he is doing wrong and that his intention is to do wrong. Therefore he has actus reas and mens rea...Could easily put him behind bars. He needs to learn that his actions are causing harm to everyone, including himself.

10. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "becareful...this could land him in juvi.....would you really want to do that to your brother? even if he is a skid mark on societies undies? and if he finds out it was you who turned him in...that will mess your relationship up big time...especially trust issues... maybe sit down and talk to him...tell him this is not a good path to follow...which will lead him to more criminal activities later in life which = jail time....tell him to stop doing these things for the adrenaline rush, money, or what have you...or you will turn him in.."

Keep in mind this: IT IS NOT YOUR ACTION THAT LANDS HIM IN JUVIE. He did what he did, and if he ends up in Juvie its cuz of HIS actions. The sooner he is held accountable for his actions the better chance he has at becoming an adult behavior-wise. Our Catholic bishops are famous for saying "If I turn in this priest for molesting young boys I will embarrass the church." It was HE, the offender, who did it. Live in the truth and be free! Fight dysfunction.