1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FEEDBACK APPRECIATED: My coming out letter to Mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by adam1988, Apr 12, 2010.

1. adam1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi!

I have just written the coming out letter I plan to use when I come out to Mum. I intend to read it out to her, as I would prefer to do this in-person, however I think I would lose my train of thought if I don't have something written down first.

I have taken inspiration when writing this letter from some of the others I have read on EC and other internet forums; so that's why they might sound a bit like the ones some of you may have used. I have however tried to put as much of it as possible in my own words and only used parts of other letters when I know that I would it would sound like something I would say anyway.

Here is the letter:

I am unsure in particular about this part:

I am fairly certain that I have seen this in someone else's coming out letter that I have read either here on EC or on another internet forum.

I like it because it says not only has nothing else about me changed, but also that I have not suddenly 'become gay' by coming out; that I was who I am even before they knew. However, I'm not sure if it sounds too trite and/or flippant?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. Ralivar

I think that the letter you have written is amazing. It's really heartfelt and it looks like you have put an immense amount of thought into it.

I think that the part where you say
    is good and it works well for what it seems you want it to say. I wouldn't worry about that you may have borrowed some ideas, that is the point on places like EC to share ideas and to help each other.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've read a lot of coming out letters in my time, and I have to say that yours is up there with the best. I think that sentence really works, and I really can't think of anything else that might need to be said. Good luck!

4. Zumbro

The letter is great, although this sentence bothered me a bit. Granted, my mind is in the gutter, but I read this and thought, "So you were ok with it and accepted it at 15, but at 19 you were made certain. What happened at 19?"

Depending on what did happen, that might lead to some awkward questions. :eek:

5. Possibly Maybe

Your letter seems to me very honest, it's direct to the point, and at the same time heart felt.

As for the line you're unsure, i would leave it out. I think you mother gets the message without it.

Good luck!!! *hug*

6. adam1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I wrote that I have been coming to terms with being gay since I was around 14/15, I meant that was when I first started questioning my sexual orientation and that it wasn't until I was 19 that I was certain that I was gay.

So, it wasn't that any sexual happened when I was 19 that made me certain (that was when I was around 17/going on 18, if you really want to know!); which I assume is what you meant, LOL! :lol:

7. NeonCookies

Wow this is really inspirational, kinda makes me want to come out to my dad that much more of course he is not much of a reader so i think the fact that i wrote him a letter instead of telling him would make him more mad then the fact that i am a lesbian...but i am off subject

i love your letter and i think it was very well written, as for the i was gay yesterday and i will be gay tomorrow i honestly would keep it in, it's just that one extra boost of helping her to understand.

:slight_smile:

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously, I think it looks good! It touches on all the key points you’d definitely want her to know, and doesn’t waste time in getting to the point (especially in how you say “I’m gay” right at the start. That gets the question of “what’s happening here?” out of her head).

The “I was gay yesterday and I will be gay tomorrow” part doesn’t sound all that trite or flippant to me. It’s stating the obvious for people who are gay, obviously, but when coming out, it can’t be stressed enough that this coming out isn’t you becoming gay suddenly, but merely telling them more about yourself.

Now, if you are going to read this out loud to her, make sure you practice it once or twice. Getting the flow right is a big part in coming over self-assured. And it’s easy to discover weird hang-ups by reading letters out loud. When I first came out, I discovered I just physically couldn’t say “I’m gay”. I got my point across in a roundabout way, but it took some practice in front of a mirror before I could say it directly… It would have helped if I discovered that in advance :wink:

9. adam1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay