1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ralphtruco, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well mmm for some time i have suspected that my parents already know, but i have prefered to wait till i can get out of the house to tell them; especially cuz it just a basic asumption and was not based on any actual facts
    But today i STUPIDLY opened a site for meeting other people (obviously on the gay side of things, i supose i cant say the name so im not saying) And it had the pic of a shirtless guy and in big words ur site fore gay meetings, date and more...or some stupid slogan like that
    Afterwards my mother comes out of the blue and asks me something then takes a like 1-second peek at the screen an then that is it she goes back to work
    Idk if she saw it or not...i am very nervous because i have no intention of telling any of my family members at least until i can get out of the house and get my own house or something like that
    I know that your gonna tell me that "blah blah trust your parents" But ... What if they that kind of parents that start with the whole story of "u dont know what you want and we are sending you to a psychologist"
    (and XD coincidentally the page is also called like a game so i can say that i was searching the game and fell over there ^^)

2. Prccgeek

hey, if your not ready to tell your parents...I say you don't have to. (and I think we would all agree with that). Obviously, if your mom dod she the page, she is just denying it to herself or maybe she is fine with it and just doesn't want to pressure you...whatever it is, it doesn't mean you would have to tell her yet. And it is very possible she didn't see it too. I had a million different instances where I thought my mom found out...be it having this website left open or my huge involvement in the gay pride stuff "just to support my friends". but when I told her she was completely clueless. ( and don't be too hard on yourself about having the site open...you have to slip up at covering your internet tracks every once in a while.)

and another little tangent.... if your parents made you go to a psychologist (as long as they aren't anti-gay therapists) it might be helpful; some people hate it or find it really scary; and it is scary at the beginning, but I find discussing stuff with someone who is a bit more distant (like a psychologist or another adult) can be really helpful. you don't worry about what they think as much b/c they are not part of the rest of your life...what you say there is kept separate from the rest of your life, but still lets you let all of those thoughts out and can let you play with those concepts and ideas in a safe and nonjudgemental place

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the obvious first thing to do is: do absolutely nothing for now. Except thoroughly clean your internet and search history so no trace remains of what sites you visited.

As for your mother: There could be several things going on right now:

1) She didn't see at all, or didn't jump to any conclusions. Which means you're clear, and you just need to be more careful in the future when they're around the computer.

2) She did see, but knows you're gay already, and is fine with it: that's good too! If this is the case, then the situation stays as it is: she knows, but won't confront you, and you're free to tell them on your own terms.

3) She saw, and is now planning to confront you about it. This is obviously not what you want. But it could still be that she is accepting after all (even though she might freak out at first).
    If she does confront you, it's up to you to decide what to do. If she seems accepting, then maybe it is time to just tell the truth and work from there. If she doesn't seem all that accepting, then you can still just flat-out deny, laugh it off and claim you got there on accident. She might not entirely believe that, but she doesn't have any proof and that way you can hold her off until you live on your own.

The most important thing to do, however, is not to panic. Odds are she was thinking of something different, or not paying attention. Just be a bit more careful what you leave on screen in the future!

4. Sylver

Filip is dead on. Do nothing! If they bring it up, then you'll have to decide whether you want to use this as an opportunity to start the dialogue with them, or to deny it and say some stupid site directed you there - you lie to them. Both are acceptable responses in my book, including a little white lie if you're not ready to come out yet.

But don't torture yourself about this. Your mind is able to come up with far more imaginative and terrifying scenarios than life itself could ever produce...

5. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    and don't be too hard on yourself about having the site open...you have to slip up at covering your internet tracks every once in a while.
    Whut? What would i have to gain in doing that?
    And mmm thanks for the advice, i guess ill wait until they confront me or not :/