1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunno about my roomate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nisomer, Aug 31, 2007.

1. nisomer

I'm not sure if I should come out to my roommate right away or get to know him and maybe come out later? I am moving into a catholic university in a couple of days and I have no idea what to do! I mean I was out by the end of senior year last year and I don't really want to go back into the closet! I mean my college isn't that bad, "Diversity" is one of its core teachings, but still there are a lot of conservative catholics there. Oh and on a side note, I am also taking a class from the Macalester college, which is a couple blocks away and is supposed to be the "Most gay-friendly college in the US" according to the Princeton Review.

Advice anyone?

2. paul7836

Ow. Tough situation. If I were strait, i dont think i would be too happy having a gay room mate, but then i wouldn't want to have to figure it out myself part way through the year. I really dont know. I guess tell him and tell him you dont make moves on roommates?

3. Time

Get to know him first, and hopefully before too long you will have a grasp on his opinion of homosexuality. If he is really conservative and you don't think he would be comfortable with it, I don't see any reason to tell him. Otherwise, make it clear you won't flirt with him or anything. Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

How about just not keeping it secret but not specifically telling him either? Just be yourself and act as though it is completely normal and natural. You could maybe leave a magazine somewhere where he could see it but not as though you deliberately left it on show.

With luck he'll figure it out for himself, and as long as you don't flirt with him or do anything to make him feel awkward, it'll be fine.

If it's someone you haven't met before then he won't know the "fake straight" you, so let him know the real you straight away.

5. Tom

Tom Guest

i agree dont hide it but also dont tell him str8 away, if he asks if ur gay then dont deny it either and leavin a magazine out for him 2 see is a gr8 idea cus then he knows and thinks that you dont know he knows wich can b funni 2 watch esp seein as he mite b choosin what he says carefully when around you, tht cud just b my sense of humour but u cud make hours of entertinment out of it. u cud just get the mag out infront of him and look through it so u can see his reactions or if he asks u who u like then just take the mag out pick a random guy and say tht 1 lol

6. nisomer

that begins to make me wonder if he already knows...my facebook totally has "hints" of me being gay on it haha