1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to come out but with no courage

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by titaniumCloset, Apr 16, 2010.

1. titaniumCloset

Hi, I'm John, 20 years old, live in California near the San Jose area... I've known SOMETHING was up since I was 12 or so, a guy friend popped his shirt off while we were playing basketball and I was mesmerized :eek: (I still have a crush on him now :eusa_doh: ) I assumed it was a phase like everyone else but as of the past year or 1.5 years I have just accepted that I was gay. Personally, I'm fine with it...I like guys -- I dont see that as an issue. So yes, I accept myself and that is a non-issue.

The issue I do have though is with everyone ELSE. I have 3 very good friends since elementary school that I have wanted to tell.

Friend A - currently out of country, has always been accepting of gays.
    Friend B - out of state, in college, taking summer classes and have no idea when Ill see him in person next. Best friend but hard to take serious at times -- we never talk of personal issues really & he is kind of shy at times. May laugh if I tell him in person -- hard to build up courage.
    Friend C - same as B but in-state so could possibly make a trip up here between quarters -- however I doubt it. Very down to earth and friendly towards people. However -- he makes gay jokes / says "fag" "that's so gay" etc. a lot / calls me gay / gay jokes kind of often...in a joking way but I still question him. That and he said gays shouldnt be allowed to marry and such. But again he is still like really chill and I think he'll learn to readjust.

I told Friend A by email a month ago or so since he has no phone where he is and I got overly confident for a second and sent him the email. He was very acceptive and walked about it for a bit and I told him I planned on telling B & C shortly...well it's been over a month now and I haven't. I live at home going a community college and they're off to state colleges...so I never see them and that leads me to my next question:

Is it okay to call someone to come out? Or is that a bad idea?

I obviously could wait until I see them but I don't know when that will be and I REALLY hate being in the closet, I'm depressed constantly, I'm very depressed. I have no real friends at my school because most are recent asian immigrants that dont really speak English and the others are people like me who just go to work, school and go home. I don't like my job either because I hate listening to customer's bitch at me. THe people I work with are decent but I can't stand it at times. My parents, mainly my dad, make gay jokes at times and overall they dont seem accepting, neither does my brother or sister. Overall it just sucks in my opinion so I guess that's why I'm depressed. I hope that coming out and being happy with myself will help cure this. I'm also transfering to San Francisco State next Fall so what else could I ask for? That's probably the most gay-friendly city in the world. I think I'll be very happy there.

So basically my questions are:
    - Is it okay to call someone to come out? Or is that a bad idea?
    - How can I tell my parents? We never talk about personal issues and I lack the courage to bring it up. I have contemplated writing a letter and leaving it for them one morning or something and then leaving...but I don't know if that's a good idea either...?
    - Are there places that I could talk to in person to try to help me like some kind of LGBT center or something? I have no gay friends so I feel like I have very few people to turn to, hence why I'm posting here.

If you've read all of this, thank you...I will return the favor to some guy some day. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I need lots of help. :-\

2. I didnt think I could do it. But I've come out to two people now, and just roll with it, if it feels right, then tell 'em. If not, then dont. Only do it when you are ready

3. titaniumCloset

I forgot to mention my parents really. They ask me if I like any of my brother's gf's friends or my friend's sister's friends all the time...and I just say short answers like "No, not really" or say I don't like their personality or something but I feel like they bring up the same propositions ALL THE TIME...I dont know if they're just dumb and keep bringing it up or if they're trying to force me into coming out or what...
    Then tonight my mom said "Person A is out of the closet" pretty randomly -- and I was like "umm no they're dating a guy" (Person A is a girl)...then I asked who told her that and she was like "Umm I forget" and I was like "You forget who told you someone we know is gay?" and then she was like "I guess I made it up"...and I was like "What the....ok well dont make things up, thats called spreading a rumor". It was just very odd. My parents are not very talkative about personal issues with me and I think they feel disconnected with me because of this, especially my dad. My dad worked a lot as I grew up and I don't like him really. He's fine but I don't enjoy hanging out with him, I guess it just doesn't click and he knows that as well.

So yeah, there is some more info to go off. :\ FML I have work tomorrow...I hate that shit.

4. Zumbro

Whether you come out face to face, by post, over the phone, or in an instant message, do whatever you feel comfortable with. If they're far away, chances are you may not be able to see them in person. One of my friends came out almost exclusively in letters, because he felt he could better explain his feelings. I came out nearly entirely face to face, with a few letters or Facebook messages thrown in. By phone is certainly fine if that's what you're ok with.

As far as someone to talk to, you definitely have options. San Jose has a PFLAG chapter which could help, or you have the Billy DeFrank LGBT community center as well. Both of these places should be able to help you find more resources if you need.

www.defrankcenter.org
    PFLAG San Jose

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given some people come out via text or IM (which I think is very much a major gaffe, personally), I would say you're fine. I think it's best to do it in person but I can see why for reasons of logistics or just nerves it may be easier to do it over the phone or by letter/email. I came out to my grandmother by letter given she was in Australia and I was in Canada. Given that anyone you can text or IM you can probably email, I would pretty much never recommend text or IM--unless maybe they're not someone you really care for deeply and you just want to let them know like "hey heads up I like guys." Text or IM conversations seem to skew pretty shallow given the limitations of length so I can't see them as appropriate for having any kind of really meaningful interactions. Likewise Twitter. They're good for some things but not for all things.

But yeah, call the person if you're impatient.

Well like I said, I think ideally it's best to come out in person but if you think you or they could benefit from some time to contemplate what's been said, leaving them a letter is not the worst thing you could do. You might want to address why you didn't tell them in person in the letter, though.

Do you think your parents might cause financial/living arrangement issues? Not to try to freak you out but if you think they could, it might be best to wait on coming out until you're done college. Even though I was pretty damn sure my parents wouldn't flip, I waited until I could support myself (if I had to) before I told them just in case. Maybe that was overkill (given what I knew about my parents) but I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to consider, at least.

Well there DEFINITELY will be once you're at SF State! Totally jealous--San Francisco is my 2nd favourite city in the WORLD!

I think Zumbro covered your San Jose bases--my starting point would be Google.

No worries.

6. Sylver

Hey John! :slight_smile: Let me offer my thoughts.

1. Yes, I think it's ok to call someone to come out to them. I would go with whatever means of communication is most comfortable and familiar between you. If you never call these people, then it will be awkward to call them just to come out. If you usually see them in person or e-mail them, then that might be the best way. Make it as comfortable as possible.

2. I had the very same issue when I came out to my parents. We never had the "sex talk" and it's a very emotionally closed family; very few conversations about emotions or emotional expression between us. But I still did it in person. Again, you really have to do it in the way that is most comfortable for you, but with parents I tend to lean towards doing it in person. They can read your body language, and that added bit of information may be the difference in making it go well. Plus, they can tell honesty in a child when they see it, and a child that's being honest with them is going to make it difficult for any internalized fears or biases to trump their love for their child. In this case emotion will actually work in your favor, if you let it.

However, I am strongly in favor of you writing a letter to them first, whether or not you give it to them. I did that before I came out, and it actually exposed some weaknesses in my thinking and readiness. I ended up waiting a while longer as I got things in order, and then I realized that I was going to do this in person which was the best decision I made. Still, it helped to have worked my thoughts out beforehand, so I would suggest you do it regardless of whether or not this is actually how you come out to them.

3. The others have provided some good options, so I won't try to add to them. However don't discount the friendships you may develop here. EC is an awesome place, and it's just amazing having so many compassionate and friendly LGBT people all accessible in one spot!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

7. titaniumCloset

Friend B and I never call/email, we usually chat on IM though still...so it'd be weird if I just called him up randomly probably.

Friend C though, we talk on the phone probably on average 1-2 times a week. He'll call me just to see whats up, discuss stocks/new product ideas, plan for the summer or whatever...so maybe next time I could try to drop it in. We'll see...I'd have to be not at home when he calls then.

8. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    keep reading and posting here at EC and in time you will feel a lot less alone in your situation. that may lead to confidence in being open about who you are, and rightly so.

9. titaniumCloset

Any thoughts on this? :confused: I WANT to call Friend C already but I just can't do it. This sucks...bleh.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Email Friend B and call Friend C?

11. olides84

With friend C, just shoot him an email right now asking him to call you (at a certain time when you won't be with your parents) because you want to talk to him about something personal. That will set the stage, and maybe it won't be quite so out of the blue when you do bring it up.

12. HackmanWIU

I came out over the phone to my family, turned out really well for me.

13. titaniumCloset

Were you not living at home when you called them?

As for the other comments -- It might be weird to email Friend B since we talk on IM every day usually...oh well maybe I'll just do it. :confused: He's my best friend since kindergarten as well. I assume once I tell them they'll have lots of things "click" in their head...like explains all the times I denied girls. :lol:

14. olides84

Do it! :grin: My suggestion is just to focus on one of them right now, either B or C. Email him first, either coming out right then and there, or that you'd like to talk about something personal, can he call you at X am/pm. Whichever way you feel it's best to communicate with him given the distance. Good luck!

15. titaniumCloset

I took your suggestion, olides84, I emailed him last night asking him when he's available (classes, etc.) to chat today because I had to call him up to ask him something. He hasn't replied yet but hopefully he does while I'm in class so then I can MAYBE call him...if I come out today I'm going to feel great but I'm not sure if I can do it...hopefully.

16. RaeofLite

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :slight_smile:

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here for you.

The main point of "coming out" isn't the how or when or where or why. It's the sheer fact of doing it. It doesn't matter how you leave the closet. You can kick down the door, or sneak out when nobody's looking, or blow it to smithereens. The main point is to leave it behind, so that everybody knows that matters, and you can get on with your life. If that means e-mail, IM, Facebook status, or hiring a brass band, do it. :slight_smile:

Lex

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    like Lex said there is no right or wrong way to come out, I first came out to a friend over the phone and she was totally cool with it.

As for dealing with your parents, I think maybe what you have is a little disorganized thinking, just because you are nervous people might not be accepting of them when you come doesn’t mean you don’t have courage. That is a legitimate thing to be scared of.

19. titaniumCloset

Holy fuck. I did not expect this day to come -- EVER. If anyone else is reading this -- YOU CAN DO IT. I had zero courage, motivation, etc. ANYTHING. I thought I was just going to put it off indefinitely. Today I changed that. When I woke up today I had it planned but I had stuff like this planned since Thanksgiving 2009, and I never followed through. I have been depressed the past year and I now feel it slowly lifting. I told my friend tonight, I called him and said it and he was quiet for a second and then was like....really? I explained it and he was 100% supportive. He was just like "I dunno what to say - but congrats?!?!" He was just like so supportive sounding and didn't care at all that I was gay -- I on the other hand was still choked up and spat out a few more words. He was out at dinner though and had just stepped outside so he called me back now and said we'd talk more tomorrow but wanted to just say hey and was glad I told him - validated our friendship that I can trust him with such a big thing, etc.

If someone who I thought was going to be a homophobe and such ended up being 110% supportive, I don't know who will really reject me. Thank you to EC and everyone on here and all of my other gay friends who have helped me through this. I know its just one person but it was my first time verbally telling someone, the other was an email and thats much easier to do.

20. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc
    (!)(!!)(!)
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap