1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hating My Dad...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ornicus Orca, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Ornicus Orca

Ok, about a week ago im watching this film, Prayers for bobby, and it made me cry. So i watched it 2 days later on youtube. I had to go to bed at 12:00 at night, but i miss the time and stay up till 00:30 ish, so i go and say good night to my dad, and continue watching the last 10 minutes of it. A light comes on down the hall so i turn off my moniter and go to see who turned it on and the front door was open and just as i go to shut it my dad comes in with that look on your face where you know he's just not happy with anything and starts having a go at me for not being in bed. So i get into bed etc etc. I just can't get it out of my head, He just jumped to a conclusion just like that. so im thinking this over in bed, that night and i get to the point where i realise we do absolutely nothing together, and i know this isn't entirely his fault, I know i never ask if we can do anything, but neither does he, he always has this sarcy attitude towards anything, he doesn't care to offer us ( my bro and I) anything when he goes shopping for his ciggerettes or other things...It just feels like he just doesn't care about me...i don't know about my brother though. I don't feel like we have anything in common, or anything to say to eachother, we only see eachother on weekend because he has a job up in london. I don't feel connected to him, i almost despise him...its rubbing of on me too and i dont want to have his attitude :frowning2: :help: it feels like he hasn't any interest in what im doing or who i am...

2. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Know how you feel. I never see my dad so its so awkward when we have to spend time together. At least your dad has the excuse of working in london. I geniunally don't know why my dad ignores me and spends all his time with my mam and little sister.
    I try to spend time with him but he either comes up with an excuse last minute or if we have to be together he's on his phone the whole time. When I was little I thought it was because of me, but now I've given up trying to figure it out. I still care, I just don't get why he don't.
    Sorry, I know this isn't advice or anything but its so nice to know its not just me.

3. RaeofLite

(*hug*) Me and my dad are a bit distant as well. He's not the confrontational type of guy some men are. He's the shy, quiet type. But I would maybe try talking to him. Ask him some questions about things he enjoys. If he likes reading, collecting things, building things, anything to get the conversation going. Then maybe try doing something he likes a little together. Even if you don't necessarily, at least you can have some bonding time.

With me and my dad, we sort've bond silently by working outside together (at my parent's place) or on our nature walks or watching action movies. It just seems to work. *shrug* :slight_smile:

4. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The problem is getting him to talk to me, not that we don't have anything to talk about. You know how when people are when their angry at you and they don't want to talk to you? That be my dad. Thing is he's been like that since my sister was born *10* years ago. And I have no idea how I can have pissed him off that much.

5. RaeofLite

bouncingsouls, maybe you didn't. Maybe he's just angry at the state of his life. Either that or he's depressed or confused about his life. I've heard that depression affects men differently than women and they become more aggressive and angry rather than sad and tearful like most depressed women do.

6. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you *hugs* and I know its not my fault but he's my dad you know, and I just want him to care about me.