1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bible College

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by frizie, Sep 1, 2007.

1. frizie

I'm pretty sure that I'll be going to a Bible College when I'm older - my parents are really set on that. But I was reading stuff about a Bible College, and it didn't say anything about being gay/lesbian and whatnot. But it did say that you're not supposed to participate in any sexual sins, which is understandable, I guess. Does homosexuality count as a sexual sin? If I went to Bible College, would I ever be able to come out? Or would that maybe get me kicked out?

2. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

In the States for the most part coming out while at a Bible College would likely cause a bit of consternation. The thing about coming out is it should be a help for you, but if it is likely to cause more grief then be of a help in a given situation, especially if it is not going to last a long time, it would probably be best to not do so.

3. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Homosexual acts are, according to the Bible, sinful. Which is why I refuse to go to church anymore.

4. xequar

That's only if you ask the church. They love to pull Leviticus 18:22 and throw it at the gay community, yet they blatantly ignore Leviticus chapter 11, which spells out that it is sinful to eat or touch the flesh of things like pigs, starfish and similar seafood, certain birds, and other things. Or there's Leviticus 19:26-"Do not eat any meat with blood still in it." Hmm, there goes that juicy rare steak. "Do not clip off the edges of your beard." (Leviticus 19:28) Oooh, there it is (looking at my Bible). Leviticus 19:19-"...Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."

Yeah, as you can see, the Bible has some credibility issues. I treat it as a guidebook, since between translation errors, editing by the Catholic Church over the years, random interpretations, and stuff that is just plain overruled by writings and events later in the Bible, I would assert that there's bigger things you should concern yourself with than a couple of lines that aren't relevant even according to other stuff in the same book.

5. Zec24

I'm not sure how bible college works, but I would imagine its not a particularly good place to come out at. I'm in a similar situation, only I'm at a military college and would definitely get kicked out if they found out my orientation. I have one more year and have struggled the past two with my sexuality and wanting to come out but not being able to. So if you ever need advice on how to cope with having to hide your sexuality let me know. I'm by no means an expert, or even very good at it, but I've managed to keep my sanity without becoming too depressed.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I assume the bible college will be run or backed by a specific religious group? If so you would need to look at the position of that group on homosexuality to get a better idea of how the college could react.