1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im out yet i had to lie when asked

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by riddlerno1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. riddlerno1

Ok so everyone outside my family know and my family are the last hurdle to get over. I swore to myself that the next person to ask i wouldnt lie and say the truth about being gay. But i was at a wedding on sat and my eldest cousin was there and hes been doing this palm reading thing and asked to see my palm. I didnt think anything of it until he said "you have two life lines, are you leading a double life?" then immediatly he asked (in the most delightful way) "Are you a poof?" And in that split second i reverted back to 3 years ago and was like "No!" I felt so guilt afterwards and angry at him for putting me in an awkward position at a wedding! But i couldnt have said yes because i dont think its fair that my parents arent the first family members to know. Plus my cousin is extremely homophobic as can be witnessed by his language.

This is really doing my head in as the night before i was celebrating all things gay and then in the space of a few hours i felt i had "cheated" on myself.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's sort of a common thing. People will say "Well, if anyone asks, I'll tell them"...until somebody asks. And then they either lie or avoid answering.

Best bet - don't make these sorts of promises to yourself. If you'd like to come out to your family, decide who to tell first, and then work on telling them. Otherwise, be content to be out to everybody but your family for now.

Lex

3. Jim1454

Ya - don't beat yourself up. You want to tell your mom and dad first - so it's only right that you do so.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the same boat, don't feel too bad.

5. Darkwing65

I think the same thing and would probably say 'No' too, but would that be the worst relative to tell?

6. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    been there, done that. haven't we all. part of the territory, i guess. cheers.