1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drafting - My final letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by otc877, Apr 20, 2010.

1. otc877

otc877 Guest

My psychology professor assigned an odd essay: write a letter to whomever, with the knowledge that you have 28 days left to live.

I've begun drafting it, but am struggling with its content. I wanted the letter to more or less chronicle my own coming to terms with my sexuality, and the internal struggles faced. But, it feels like a story with no emotion.

So, what I'm asking from EC is what detail would you absolutely have to include in your final letter to your parents/loved ones?

Or, what is a nagging question that you feel parents would want to know? When my mom reads this letter after my supposed passing, is there anything left unanswered?

Also, any grammatical/spelling errors or any comments are welcomed. Hell, tear it apart. It's a draft and I'm not happy with it.

Specifically, I don't like the 6th paragraph, it doesn't flow with the rest of the letter... at all.

I based this letter heavily on something I've previously posted here, but it doesn't have the same impact on me as the original...
    If anybody got through this massive wall of text I appreciate it, and I appreciate even more any help/insight you have to offer.

Thanks,

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't find it lacks emotion. It has a very specific emotion - resignation/acceptance.

I had a kid bully me a lot when I was 14. If I had to write him a letter at age 14, it would've been full of swear words, and ripped spots where the pencil dug into the paper. But if I had to write one now, it wouldn't look like that at all, even though we never "made up". Because I've accepted what happened. I'm resigned to the fact that he was insecure, and he took his insecurities out on a convenient target - me. No, I'm not happy he did it, and I can't say as I've ever tried to track him down and become friends with him. But the hatred calmed into something that simply was "You did this, and so be it." And that's pretty much what comes through in your letter.

I think it's good the way it is. :slight_smile:

Lex