1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I break the news to my 3 friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 22, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

Soo ive posted a bit about this before, and me and 4 of my friends started a youtube channel together. We've been doing it for almost 3 months, and theres been a lot of drama.

One girl agreed to do it, but she "never has time" for it. When she actually does it the videos are less than a minute long, and they pretty much suck.

Me and the girl who posts on tuesdays are the only ones who have religiously posted every week. Hell, I even posted the day my dog was put down and i was REALLY gutted about that.

Also, my videos and the girl on fridays are the only ones with actual content, so 4-10 mins. everyone else's is like under 2 minutes, its ridiculous.

All that being said, one of my other friends who watches the channel from time to time told me that me and the girl on fridays are the only ones worth watching.

I want to confront the other 3 girls and tell them this, not to make them feel bad but so they can improve, but they're all pretty sensitive, and they get either stupidly depressed about it. Way back when we were first starting out, one of the girls proposed an idea and I said I didnt like it much and she got all depressed and refused to offer any other ideas. One of the others gets really defensive and bitchy even if we're being nice and polite about reminding her to post.

I dont want this to get all stupidly overdramatic, but how should I confront them on this?

2. Zumbro

Just talk to them and say "hey, I noticed you aren't posting every week like we agreed. Do you really want to do this? because I do. It's fine if you say you don't want to pick up the commitment".

On another note, most youtube channels update maybe once or twice a week, at least to my knowledge. You've got 4 a week going. Maybe if you gave them two weeks between shows they would make them all and have time to plan content.

3. Jim1454

Is this even important? Are you sure you need to address this at all?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest that you and the other girl who are actually doing work get together and come up with a strategy of what you want the channel to be (minimum length of video, type of content, quality, etc) and go to the others and say that the two of you have decided you want to take the channel to the next level. Then ask them if they are prepared to commit, and if they are not, just tell them sorry, but you'll need to find other people who are more on the same page about what you want to do.

You can't take responsiblity for their depresson/hurt/anger/whatever. That's on them. They won't be able to function in the world if they get hurt and offended any time someone asks them to step up to responsibility, so as long as you're being kind with what you're saying, just say it like it is, and let the chips fall where they may.

And remember... a year from now, none of this will matter anyway :slight_smile:

5. Sylver

I see this like running a business. And I have a low tolerance for inequity in a partnership. I also despise drama for the sake of drama - life is too short for wasting my effort on other people's nonsense. I would have said something already, letting them know exactly what I feel. In fact I would have issued an ultimatum by now - get with the program or go home. Unless of course this isn't a serious deal in the scheme of things, in which case I wouldn't even bother asking the question you asked...

6. MusicIsLife

Thanks guys for the answers.

I think I'll wait another week or so, and if their videos dont improve in terms of content I'll say something.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to second Jim.

If people only like your clips, and Ms Friday's clips, then they can just watch those, and skip the others. If the other two don't post religiously, or don't post good stuff, there'll be some empty spots or some substandard content. Big deal. I like reading the alt-weekly here in town, even though some of the writers are annoying. I keep reading - I just skip over the stuff I'm not interested in. You're not getting graded on this thing. Having bad content isn't going to "bring the whole thing down". Just keep kicking ass at what you're doing, and don't worry about everybody else. :slight_smile:

Lex