1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Job?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by elitechris, Apr 24, 2010.

1. elitechris

hey guys!
    this really isn't a problem. i'm just looking for advice. :slight_smile:

i'm turning 17 next month. my mom keeps telling me "i know kids younger that you who have jobs" and "you don't know how to do shit except sleep." i'm always tired because of school but she doesn't get it.
    since i turned 16 last year i wanted to get a job. i applied for one job [dumb mistake, i know] but never got a call back. this summer is only a few weeks away and i'm starting to apply to many jobs. i just have a few questions to those who have been though this process.
    should i apply for jobs in various places? i only applied for one last year...
    what do i include in my resume? when i do online applications they always want a text version of my resume but i have no idea of what to put in
    and if i do get an interview, what should i wear? i've looked online and it varies from super dressed up to a shirt and dress pants

i know i might have more questions but that's all i can think of right now.

thanks for the help!

2. Connor22

If you haven't any big plans for the summer you could try crewing, you just need to find a crewing agency and if they get a posting for you during the summer that should be fine, that's what I plan to do when I turn 16 but not there yet

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

First off, my mother does the same thing so you're not alone. She's like getajobgetajobgetajob several times a day but as long as you're trying she'll stop nagging cause that's what I've been doing and she's finally like I know you're trying it's okay. Secondly definitely apply to various places. It's just the laws of probability; it's like the lottery the more tickets you buy the greater chance you have to win. The more places you apply to, the greater chance you'll have that one calls you back. Thirdly dressing really depends where you're going. Super dressed up is usually for like big businessy or corporate type jobs. A shirt and dress pants is more widely used I would say, especially for places like retail which are the places most likely to hire teenagers.

4. Darkwing65

I've had a Job since i was 14. It's not that bad, a know how to do all sorts of non-sense now.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Should i apply for jobs in various places?
    Definitely. Apply anywhere you think you've got a shot. Don't sit around waiting to hear from the first place before you apply somewhere else. Ideally, you should apply to a ton of places all in one trip.

what do i include in my resume?
    If you've never had a job, you presumably won't be looking for resume-style jobs. If you don't have one, you can say so. Just say "I'm currently looking for my first job, and therefore don't have a resume yet."

If i do get an interview, what should i wear?

Unless the job involves dressing extremely nice, no need to wear a suit or anything. A dress shirt and slacks would be fine, and perhaps a tie if it's not a fastfood restaurant.

Lex

6. RaeofLite

I've had a job since I was 15.

Anyway... yes, send out resumes everywhere. Some ideas:
    -grocery stores
    -video stores
    -construction sites
    -video game stores
    -clothing stores
    -health food stores
    -gas stations
    -coffee shops (Starbucks?)

Try typing up a cover letter. Here's an idea to get you started, to hand in with every resume addressed to the place you're handing it into, which details what skills you have, whether you're looking for part time (1-25 hours a week) or full time (25-40 hours a week), and your personality traits that would be good for the said job.

Cover letter: http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Cover-Letter

Resume examples: http://www.resume-resource.com/examples.html

And be sure to ask for the manager every place you hand it in. If they're not there, talk to the assistant manager, don't just hand it to some employee. And shake their hand with a firm (not too firm grip and smile) :slight_smile:

Try calling back in 4-6 days for every place to see if you've gotten a bite on a job. This'll show you have drive and want the job. Good luck!

7. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

If it is at all possible, you MUST do this. If the manager/assistant manager is not in, ask when he or she (or whoever is in charge of hiring) will be in so that you can drop your resume off to him or her personally. I cannot express how important this advice is if you want to get a job.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All good advice up there. RaeofLite has a list of the sort of jobs you'd be able to get. Add in there stuff like Walmart, McDonalds. There's also movie theatres (as usher or concessions). I worked front-end (Cashier, etc) at a grocery store. Many people hate front-end and prefer working another department like meat or produce, but on the other hand front end was (and is) ALWAYS hiring. I didn't mind it that much.

Yes, you have to apply everywhere, not just one place. This is true in career job market as well. Granted when I got my first part-time job, I got hired at the second place I dropped off a resume. One key thing was talking directly to the department manager. She then immediately scheduled me for an interview the next day so that I could start training the next Monday.

Many part time places have special application forms. Either collect them from the store or print them off online, and carefully fill it out and attach your resume (if allowed). Probably not a lot to put on a cover letter.

What to put on your resume? If you're 17 and have no job experience it should be no longer than a page. If you have any extra-curricular team activities (sports or clubs) this will interest them as "team player" is a big thing at most jobs. If you're on the honour roll or some other award or something you can mention that as it shows you're a reliable person.

Lex's fashion advice is good as well. Also, I advice dressing nice and being well groomed when you're dropping off a resume (direct to a manager of course :wink: ). You have 6 seconds to make a first impression, and you want one that says you're serious, and you wouldn't have any problems dressing presentable for work, or wearing a uniform if required.