1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying not to be hypocritical but I'm sure gay people scare me!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hidden Angel, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Ok so I've tried going to a few groups and stuff here at Uni so I can finally get to know some other gay people then only problem is that everyone seems to be really stereotypically gay, you know feminine guys, masculine girls, an I'm not so I really out of place and it kind of weirds me out a bit, on top of that they all seem to sit in there own little group stalking to each other and that doesn't help me got to know people when I'm bad with that sort of thing to begin with.

I've kind of given up going because I always feel worse after going to these things than wwhen I feel totally alone but at the same time I want to get to know some other gay people but don't know what else to do.

Any other advise would be much appreciated
    P.S. Bars and clubs really aren't my thing since I don't drink and am not a big people person so thats out.

2. GhostDog

You could... try talking to them and seeing if they're interesting people, regardless of how "stereotypically gay" they are. =)

What I tend to do at those functions is look for other people who look like they're off on their own too. Going at the beginning of the semester helps. Look for body language in the groups, too. If there's nobody who's by themselves, but there's a group of folks just sitting around and who look fairly relaxed, try talking to them! Worst thing that can happen is they don't want to talk to you, and you have to find another group, and you're back where you started.

Other than that? You could try looking for other local LGBT groups or places to volunteer. But you may well run into the same "problem" there. You could always just see if you don't get along with the people at your Uni's group. Just because y'all act differently doesn't mean you can't be friends! And if it does end up being the case, well. That sucks. =(