1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to a great guy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 25, 2010.

1. How can I keep him interested even though we are talking only through IM and text? He's kind of close but not close enough that we could meet up anytime soon...I just wanna know how to keep things going?

2. AlyssWonderland

I've had a guy similar to this, and me and some of our mutual friends invited him to hang out with all of us at the mall. After hanging with him a few times with our friends we started hanging just the two of us. :grin: Good luck with him!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, don't freak out about this too much. If he keeps talking to you, he's obviously interested. You don't have to put on a huge dog-and-pony show to keep him intrigued 24/7. You got to this point being yourself (right?), so keep it up. :slight_smile:

If there's a long lag in conversation, you can pull up a conversation starter. These are topics designed to get people to think about, maybe reminisce, and open up further conversation. Here's a few to get you started.

* Halloween costumes
    * birthday parties
    * vacations
    * restaurants
    * food in general
    * toys
    * music
    * TV shows
    * movies
    * books

Pick one of these. Then ask a question using this topic. The easiest ones are "favorite", "last", and "next", although "earliest" and "when you were (age)" are both good ones, too.

So let's pick one - Halloween costumes. You can ask any of these questions:

"What was your favorite Halloween costume you ever wore?"
    "Did you wear a costume for Halloween last year? What was it?"
    "Do you normally wear a costume for Halloween? Any ideas for next time?"
    "What was the first Halloween costume you remember wearing?
    "Do you remember what Halloween costume you wore when you were ten?"

A few things to remember, though.

1. It's best if you don't just ask this out of the blue. Bring the conversation over to Halloween costumes. This might take a bit of work. You might say something like "I was just in my closet, and I saw my old hockey mask. I wore it as part of my Halloween costume a couple years back when I was an ax murdered. That was fun. :slight_smile: Do you ever dress for Halloween?"

2. The key is that this is supposed to stimulate conversation. You're not just looking for an answer - you're looking to keep the conversation going. When he answers, egg him one somewhat. If he just says his favorite costume was "gorilla mechanic", ask some more questions. Where'd he get the idea to dress as that? How did he make the costume? How was it received? Did he get a lot of candy with it? Did he ever wear it again? Feel free to let the conversation drift other directions. If he starts talking about the Halloween party he went to, and how he met this person there, then follow the conversation over there.

3. This isn't supposed to be a quiz. Don't pepper him with nothing but questions, from the list, or follow-ups. Add to the conversation, too. "Wow, I've never been to a party like that. The closest I came was when I was eight, and they had this get together at the local mall...."

Lex