1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving out / moneys advice, por favor?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GhostDog, Apr 27, 2010.

1. GhostDog

So. I've got roughly a year and a half left of college. The last semester of that, I'll be student teaching, and will by necessity be living at home (because you don't have time for a job). Which leaves me another full school year of just... classes. And I'm thinking of living near campus for that year!

I lived on campus for all of one semester my freshman year, and had to move back home because I was having panic attacks. >.> Right now, I pretty much commute because it's cheaper. And I do like being around my family! We get along well.

But I really feel like I'm missing out. I don't really feel like I belong in the town I actually live anymore, since all the people I went to school with pretty much moved away, or have turned into douchey stoner hipsters who sit around coffee shops. And the town I go to college in has a lot of those, too, but there are also people with actual motivation and goals there! And it's nice! But I have to have an hour's notice to go do anything with any of my friends. I don't feel like I belong anywhere (except my parents' house) at this point, really, and it's kind of uncomfortable.

And next semester, I'm basically inheriting presidency of a student service organization, and I've got to try to revive it and get it active again. And it feels like that is going to be hard to do when I live so far away.

Buuuut. Apartments cost, like, money and stuff. If I live with a roommate, it'll probably be something like ~$400-500+ a month, which isn't too horrible. But going to school and working to pay rent doesn't leave a whole lot of room for a social life, either. Still, it'd be easier to just, like, go out for drinks on a moment's notice, before we're all in Real Jobs and that kinda thing. =/ (Also, I have a feeling "LOL I STILL LIVE WITH MY PARENTS" is kind of a turn off on the girlfriend front. >.>)

And honestly, I could probably use a smack with the reality bat. I've been in college four years and it hasn't really felt like it. I think it would be good experience to get out on my own, even for just a year, but at the same time I'd like to not rack up more debt than I have to.

If I already had a job, it'd be a no-brainer, pretty much. But I don't, and I don't have much employment history. At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to find a job locally, and just bite the bullet and live at home for another year and a half and save some money. Or, try to find a job in my college town, over the summer when everyone's gone home and stores might actually be hiring, commute to it through August and move up here when school starts. I'd try to get a job over the summer close by and then get another in Denton, but I have a feeling it'd be hard to find a job during August when everyone else is looking, too.

I don't know what to do! But I need to decide really soon and thought I'd get all the input I could. <3 Thanks y'all!

#1 GhostDog, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In this economy, I'd strongly recommend staying at home and saving up as much money as you can. Graduates (and everyone) are having a tough time finding jobs, and this is probably not the best time to be voluntarily taking on another $6000/year in expenses you dont' need.

I understand the desire to be out on your own, but you'll have plenty of time to do that once you *do* have job and a little more stability. Nothing wrong with taking the free room and board while it's available to you :slight_smile:

3. Jim1454

The practical accountant has to agree with Chip. You've got a good thing going, I'd say. There is lots of time later to live on your own - when you can actually afford to do so.

4. GhostDog

Arr, valid points, mateys.

But I did kinda talk to my dad about this, after a friend of mine said her roommate is moving out and rent was about $350 a month per person (plus about $50 for utilities or so). He said he'd be willing to kick in some money each month if I give back his credit card (which I'm cool with), since he pays for my gas to get to and from school right now anyway (and I drive 300+ miles a week). I mean, commuting costs $100 a month as it is.

So I thiiink if I can get a job lined up over the summer and into next fall, I'd like to give it a shot. (Assuming she doesn't get another roommate by the time I've found a job, or if her roommate is leaving now and she needs a new one by June or something.) If my dad had been like, "Hrm, money! >:|" I would've just let it drop, but I mentioned it and he seemed pretty receptive. I think he'd like me to not turn out like my uncle, livin' with mom until 30 or something, haha. =P Him offering to lend a bit of financial help makes it a lot less intimidating.

I mean, this is kind of scaring the crap out of me a little bit, but it seems like things kinda lined up a little and I want to jump on it if I can. ... Assuming I can get a job. Heh.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I'd say stay home and save up money, however your goal (along with finsihing school) should be to get a place of your own (either with roommates for whatever) There is a certain amount of growning up you do when finally have to fend for yourself, plus there is a freedom that goes with it.

So, save now move out later.

:slight_smile:

6. olides84

I'd say do the move, especially with your dad's offer of help. It's not too expensive and it will really allow you to enjoy the final year of your college experience. And that's the thing--this is most likely your last chance at the life that comes with going full time to school and just being involved in that whole environment, even if you do need a part time job to help with costs. Because after you graduate, it's full time work and a whole different lifestyle. So coming from someone who lived on or near campus for all 4 years of my uni life and lived to tell about it (and pay for it), I say do it! :slight_smile:

7. Chandra

Yeah, I say do the move if you can. If you start to run out of money, maybe you can move back in with your folks.