1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The clothes my mom buys me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainbowJay, Apr 29, 2010.

1. RainbowJay

My mom doesn't understand that I look loose-fitted shirts (men's shirts mainly) and those kind of styles. Yet she keeps buying me tight shirts that I always tell her that I won't wear and then she gets angry with me anyway :/

Today she got me some shirts for my birthday and now she's taking them back and refusing to ever shop in the men's section for me (even though she's done that before and got some cool clothing for me).

No matter how many times I tell her, she insists that it's "just a phase" and that just tires me out. I dunno what to do anymore. I'm not going to blatantly tell her that I like looking like a guy and wearing men's clothing a lot, since I know she definitely won't take that well.

2. xCrazyInsanity

Yeah, my mom does that to me too. Just doesn't get that not everyone has to wear tight crap. :roll:
    [other issues too, but whatever]

Could you maybe just ask for money and do your own shopping (or if you have a job just use that)

3. Zumbro

You're 17. Just ask your mother if you can go shopping instead, since you'll be shopping on your own in a year anyways (assuming you go to university). If she says no, well, I think she's going to have a real hard time when you move out.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom started complaining about going clothes shopping with me or for me because I didnt like anything she picked. Then she would always say that she's not helping me anymore, and I just said, Fine, I dont need your help, I know what I like. And I'v been buying all my own clothes since and making good choices.

5. RainbowJay

Thanks for the advice guys, you're all completely right! I really should get a job to save my mom the trouble of getting me clothing I refuse to wear.

@Zumbro, I still go to high school (called college in the UK I believe), so it'll be another year before I can be a lot more independent than before :/

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next time, don't just turn your nose up at them. Feel free to tell her that they're not the kind you like, but offer to go back to the store WITH her, and show her what kinds you DO like. If you're shopping together, she can't buy you stuff you don't like. :slight_smile: And for the best results, put the blame all on yourself. Don't say "You should know I don't like these things." Say something like "My taste in clothes IS a bit odd, so maybe it'd be best if I were there to point out some things I DO like. I do appreciate the thought, though."

Lex