1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiting vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Apr 29, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

I've only been a vegetarian for a week and I'm ready to quit. It's not because I want meat(i do but that's not the reason). It's because I get almost 0% support from my family. My mom does support me a bit but nobody else. My sister and her boyfriend tell me to eat meat like every 5 minutes.

My mom bought some different things(tofu, veggie burgers, etc.) but I didn't like everything. She keeps saying I'm wasting money but I'm trying to explain that there's no way I would like every single vegetarian food. That's like saying she likes everything with meat. I agree, it's a bit of a waste of money, but atleast I know what I do and don't like.

I just feel like I'm completely alone in this. Like there's no point. You can't think outside of the box in my family, or else youre made fun of.

2. Mogget

Okay, seems like you've got two different problems. The first is not getting support from your food provider (i.e. your family). The second is with veggie dishes. As a fellow veggie (for over fifteen years now), here's my advice:

Don't expect to get more support, especially not this early in. Instead of focusing on meat elimination, focus on meat reduction (assuming your reason for going veggie isn't that you feel morally disgusted every time you eat meat. If that's the case, you may just have to go hungry till your family gets the point). And actively reduce. Never buy or order meat, if the meat is separate from the rest of the meal, focus on the side dishes, and make it clear when your family asks you what you'd like that you don't want meat.

As to the second, meat substitutes may not be the way to go. Focus on carbs, beans, nuts, and legumes. Peas, beans, and peanut butter especially are good protein replacements; carbs are good filler, especially if they're complex (whole grained breads, brown rice, etc). And a lot of those are cheap, which tofu isn't. Eggs are also good, as is cheese. Veggie burgers and tofu especially are something of acquired tastes, a lot of us don't particularly like them. And it's more than possible to go veggie without.

3. Zumbro

You don't need your mom to buy different food, just prepare it differently. Maybe instead of mixing in the meat with the pasta, she puts it off to the side. If meat is the main dish, you could make yourself a veggie sandwich. Fresh fruit and vegetables are a must however. You'll never make it if all you have to eat is carbs.

4. MusicIsLife

I feel for you dude, its a pain, especially when you start out. The best way to shut them up and get them to leave you alone is knowledge. If they bitch about how you're making yourself "sick" use comparitive facts, i.e 36% of meat eaters are obese and only 4% of vegetarians are, things like that.

Plus, I know how hard it is, and it'll take some time. I've been vegetarian(well, vegan to be exact) for 5 years and I still get teased or I get asked really stupid questions. Give it some time, and if you're really serious about it, they'll eventually lay off.

In addition I see that you're 16. In terms of the money issue, it may help your mom to see that you're serious if you try to get a part time job to help pay for your specialty groceries like tofu and whatever, but don't forget that beans and other legumes are an excelent source of protein, and they tend to be really cheap. Good luck!

5. Techcompu2

I have never tasted meat, and neither has my sister. My parents are vegetarians now, but they used to eat meat before they married. I understand the part about having no support from peers, one person tried to convince me that peanut butter was a meat in 5th grade.

6. No One

Support: I have been a vegetarian for over 3 years, and when I first started my parents were like "You know your just being dumb" and "Your not really going to stick with it" but I did and I earned their respect and support. If you just stay with it, you will earn support; Not from everyone, as I still have people that go "Mmmmm this meat is so good" but in general you earn the support, and you will learn to ignore those who don't.

Food: Let's just say, a lot of vegetarian food is not good, but if you keep trying new things, you will find something you like. Anything that provides protein is a major must, you can never get enough of it, especially when you don't eat meat.

7. djt820

You've just had a "vegetarian phase" like almost every other person Ive seen saying they're gonna be a vegetarian. You dont need no damn support to be someone you wanna be. If you truly want to be a vegetarian, then be one. You don't need support, you just need the will power. If you don't, then continue to enjoy eating delicious meat.