1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kittycat16, Apr 29, 2010.

1. kittycat16

kittycat16 Guest

I want to come out to my mom that i am a lesbian but i am not sure how to tell her.

2. Glunn11

Hi kittycat!

This is a tough question for me to try and answer since I, in fact, am still in the closet for everyone but seven people, none of which are my parents. So, first off, how is your relationship with your mother? Has she mentioned how she feels towards LGBT people?
    If you think that there is a reasonable amount of danger in coming out (e.g. getting kicked out), I certainly advise you to consider the consequences before telling your mother.

HOWEVER, I do think that coming out to my parents will be a necessary thing for me to feel more complete, and I really hope you can do this, as well. You can tell her however you feel most comfortable. Many write letters, for example, or you can just tell her in person. Either way, you may or may not (depending on your mother's reaction) have a pretty intricate conversation afterward, so be sure you're totally okay with yourself and can reassure your mother that you are still her daughter.

Just wait until the moment is right. The right moment is not in the middle of a fight or while driving :wink:

I hope things work out for you! Some others will certainly have some better advice from their experience. :slight_smile:

3. kittycat16

kittycat16 Guest

Thanks 4 the advice :slight_smile:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough to give good advice without knowing your situation more.

Are you on good terms with your mom? Can you talk about most things?
    Has your mother shown generally positive (or neutral) attitudes towards gay things?
    Is she generally open-minded?
    How do you think she'll react, most likely?

Lex

5. kittycat16

kittycat16 Guest

My mom and I can talk about almost anything. She is generally okay about gay things and she is pretty opened-minded. I am pretty sure she would be fine with me being a lesbian but its so hard to come out to her.

6. stevie

best of luck, my advice is tell her only when you are ready to, and dont be apologetic, you are the same person you were before you told her, she just now knows more about you.

7. padre411

I am from the school of direct communication: "Mom, I want to say 3 things. First, I love you. Second, I hope you love me. And third, I am gay."

I agree with Lexington, your approach depends on your context. Don't push yourself harder than necessary.

Peace,:newcolor:

8. kittycat16

kittycat16 Guest

Thanks for the advice everyone :slight_smile: