1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a big deal, just curious

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xballetxbeautyx, Apr 30, 2010.

1. I really had no clue where to put this, but since I'm asking a fairly serious question I thought I'd put it here. First off I have to say that it's in the past and nothing can be done about it, and as there are other people involved I wouldn't try to do anything about it anyway, but I want to know what you guys think. And secondly, it's going to be hard because this is something I feel really strongly about, but I'm going to try and be unbiased in describing the situation. And try to keep it short.

So, what I want to know is, is this discrimination:

Couple #1 is me, a 15 year old girl, and K, a 17 year old girl. We had a semi-relationship over Christmas break, returned to school and were off-and-on because of her concern about getting in trouble because of the age gap. Later she went to the guidance counselor and told her about us, including that we had sexted and that I had been cutting myself. The counselor called not my parents about the cutting, but her parents about the sexting. Either the school or her parents (not sure which) banned her from speaking to me, and we haven't talked in four months.

Couple #2 is a junior boy and a freshman girl- also 17 and 15. They keep their relationship quiet and don't make a big deal out of it, but have been together for at least six months and many teachers know about their relationship.

Couple #3 is another junior boy and freshman girl, also well known around the school, attended prom together, and the entire debate team and many teachers know about their relationship and most likely about any physical aspects.

Couple #4 is another junior boy and freshman girl. They had sex a week into the relationship and it circulated the entire school, and I'm almost positive the guidance counselor or at least some teachers would have heard about it.

Now, obviously it makes a difference whether the school or her parents banned her from speaking with me. But what I want to know is, do you guys feel like the action the school took was based on the gender, not the age? Thanks for any opinions. ~megan~

PS: I will add that K is very out and there have been other incidents where she got in trouble, one of which was sexual harassment because she threw some hole-punched paper dots at another girl and some went down her shirt; it was blown wildly out of proportion and wasn't sexual at all.

2. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

It sounds like it maybe was a little discriminatory but without knowing how much the guidance counselor knows about the others for sure it is hard to say. What is really fucked up is that she didn't call your parents about the cutting but did call her parents about the sex-ting. In any situation that counselor needs to get her prioritys in order.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main difference I see isn't the sexes of the participants. It's the fact that there was sexting and cutting involved. For all I know (and all THEY know), there's sexting and cutting (and perhaps more) going on in the other relationships. But in yours, they knew for certain, because somebody in the relationship came forward and said so. If I were a guidance counselor, and a 17-year-old came to me about a relationship with a 15-year-old, with sexting, and cutting, and "I don't know if this is legal"...then yeah, I'd say action would be needed. I don't know if the action they took was the right one, necessarily, but I don't think they were out of line for doing something.

Lex