1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out online?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Just08, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Just08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I was wondering if coming out online via an online social network site (facebook) is a good idea. I’m finishing up my last two quarters of college and I want to come out to my friends. Over the last two weeks I’ve tried to plan when to come-out, but I can’t seem to do it when the time comes. I'm only out to one person, so that may have something to do with it. I just don’t know what to do. I’m afraid that if I don’t take advantage of the last few months of college, that I’ll miss an opportunity to be honest with the people that I care for before I leave my school. Do you guys think it's ok to come-out this way? I was thinking of changing my profile online in a “interested in” section from a blank space to "interested in men"…Could this upset my friends that I didn't come out in person?

2. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

i think it might.
    some ppl might be mad at the gayness and some about the untruthfullness

3. nisomer

i suggest doing it in person. If you do it online, you won't know whether or not they know (unless they bring it up) and if they don't bring it up, it will be awkwardness every time you are with them.

Doing it in person, while it may be much harder, allows you to connect way deeper with your friends and you guys can actually talk about it. Your friendship will definitely become greater.

4. Sam

Sam

It might hurt them to know that you came out online instead of telling them in person I say tell the most important people in your life in person and then come out online so the rest of the people know

5. Bryan

It is much better to do in person. I came out to my best friend in aim, and regret it, I wish I could have told her in person.