1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to move on

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, May 3, 2010.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So some of you know that I've had marriage problems for awhile now. Years actually! My husband and I are just very very different and we really have nothing in common anymore since our children have grown up. I do my thing and he does his. I told him this morning that I think we have been putting off the inevitable and that is a divorce. I did alot of thinking over the weekend. I drove 5 hours to the beach and back by myself. I guess I'm just at the point now where I can't stand it anymore. I don't want us to end our 27 year marriage in a big blow up that will make things difficult for being around eachother when we have grandchildren. Do you know what I mean? I'd rather just end it calmly. I cannot go the rest of my life without love. I would actually like my children to see me in a relationship that is happy and healthy now that they are adults. I sure wouldn't want them to stay in a relationship that was unhappy. So its time to free myself up so that love can happen. Its going to be tough making the mortgage and the car payment by myself. So keep me in your thoughts guys! I need all the help I can get. :slight_smile:

2. Jim1454

(*hug*)

Becky, I'm so sorry that it has come to this. I know how difficult this can be on a family.

However, I also know how much better life can be when you're paired with someone who truly is compatible. Who makes you feel complete. Who loves you as much as you love them, which is more than you've ever loved someone else before.

I hope that you and your husband can be there for each other through this difficult time - because you're both going to need support.

Know that you can reach out to me any time if you want to talk to someone. This is a courageous decision that you've made, and somehow things are going to work out for the best.

I'm rooting for you! (*hug*)

3. D_Alejandro

I am so sorry that this is happening. It looks like from what you are saying, however, that you are ready to take the initiative and begin the road to end this relationship.

Feel better and I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Keep us updated and stay strong!!! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

Remember that a lot of people here are very good listeners, myself included!

4. Gambit

Hi Becky, sorry to hear about your divorce. About 4 years ago, my parents ended a 25 years marriage. It was very difficult for them and for us (by us I mean my siblings and me). I guess divorces are always hard. I was 16 by then, and I could see that my mom wasnt happy in that relationship. Anyway, I kinda got angry at her for proposing the divorce. But now that I'm more mature, 4 years after, I see that my anger was dumb (probably due to my young age) and now I'm glad to see that my mom is more happy, and that makes me happy. I guess sons always ended up understanding. The only thing I didnt like is that my parents let the economic part of a divorce destroy their relationship (cars, houses, money, etc). They cannot see each other and that is something that has shadowed some events in my life (for example, my father didnt go to my highschool graduation because my mother was there). So, my only suggestion is dont let economic things destroy the relationship with your husband, they are not worthy.
    (Sry, I can't express myself very well in English).

5. TriBi

Oh Becky - it will be a huge step after such a long time in a relationship...but you seem to have thought it through and be looking at it from a positive perspective of where you want to head in your life.

I hope it all works out amenably - and lots of these:
    (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our thoughts will be with you (*hug*)

7. padre411

Ouch. God bless.(&&&)

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

It's definitely the right thing especially if you guys have gotten to the point where you're just really good roommates. Now that your kids are grown it's time to take care of yourself cause you deserve it. :]

9. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

Becky i hope you find love ^_^

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am really sorry to hear that it had to come down to having to end the relationship Becky. Hope things will work out for you and that you can move on and perhaps have someone in your life who shares some of your passions and whom you can love.

(*hug*) (*hug*)

11. Étoile

(*hug*) 27 years is a long time but what's necessary is necessary. (*hug*)

Time to put on your short dress and heels cuz you bout to find you a man! :icon_bigg

12. Eleanor Rigby

Becky, you know it was inescapable. It's very sad that despite the efforts you have done things didn't improve beetween you and your husband, but now, you have to do what's right for yourself and give yourself a chance to be happy. You really deserve it.
    I hope that your husband is not going to make things more difficult than they already are.
    If you ever need to talk or rant, you're very welcome to talk to me any time.
    Take care of yourself Becky (*hug*)

13. KneeDragger

Becky, I'll pray for you and your family. This isn't an easy choice to make. There can be all kinds of guilt, anxiety, and fear. Push through it. It will get better. I'm at a similar point and going through the exact same thing. Each day seems to get a little bit brighter. What's funny is that for me and my wife, we are becoming better friends now than we were before. We both recognize that the marriage is over. We're just trying to be the best friends we can be to each other.

Chris

14. matty123

Good luck, you deserve to be happy :slight_smile:

15. EM68

Becky I am so sorry! One thing that I have learned over the past few years is thaat you have one life to live and you need to be happy. I hope you and your husband can still remain friends. My thoughts are with you. (*hug*):kiss:(*hug*):kiss:

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for your support! :slight_smile: You guys are the best!

17. s5m1

Becky, I am sorry you are going through this. HUG. It is no fun. Please know that even though you are going to experience a lot of unpleasant emotions over the next few weeks and months, it definitely gets better. A good therapist can really help, even if it only gives you a private forum to vent. You will be amazed how good life can be once it is over. I had a terrible marriage, not just because I was gay. Once it ended, I was finally able to enjoy life for me. It can be very liberating to be able to choose what you want to do and when you want to do it. Hang in there!

18. someguy82

I've never dealt a lot with divorce so I don't know how well I can contribute to what you're going through. That said, if you're not happy with someone, then you shouldn't be with them, and I think you made the right decision (plus it's not like you guys can't still be friends and great parents to your kids).

19. xequar

Becky, I have to say that you're quite a remarkable person, and I can't think of one instance I know of where someone put as much of themselves into a relationship as you have, and I was actually surprised to see this thread as I thought you had divorced him a couple years ago already.

I'm sorry that it's had to go down like this, but I'm more happy for you that you're going to have a real shot at finding happiness with someone that deserves you.

(*hug*)(*hug*)

20. blueeyedcutie

I will keep you in my thoughts through this difficult time. You are making the right decision because you will be much happier. I think my parents would be as well but I don't think they will ever so I admire your courage for taking this step in life.