1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think has caused you to be gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zumbo, Sep 4, 2007.

1. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if homosexuality is congenital, environmental, or both and please don't debate it here. I just think that some past events can also influence the way a person views his/her sexuality.

:smilewave Personally, I think that these are some of the major causes that have influenced my sexuality now:

1. Two nannies took care of me as a child. They didn't like me to play with almost all boys whom they think would be bad influences to me and, instead, they let me play with girls. Of course, doing that deprived me of belongingness with male peers and encouraged me to lust on them instead. Remember the eagle-chicken fable?

2. I had a bad relationship with my father. We couldn't communicate well and usually beat me when my nannies tattletaled to him how naughty I had been for a day. What else would they expect from young boys? {{{sigh}}}

3. I never had a male bestfriend. (period)

4. I was turned off by women in my childhood.

What do you think are yours?:confused:

2. davo-man

Hmmm, i can't really think of a major cause of me being gay...I mean the only one i can really think of is that me and my dad don't have a great relationship, as in i just don't like him at all, and don't particularly want to have a relationship with him, but i think that's actually stemmed from me being gay, not a cause of it...

In my history, ive had just as many guy friends as girls (although in the past i have gotten along better with girls just cos i find it easier to be gay around them) and i was not turned off by women in my child hood, but then again, i wasnt turned on by them either, nor was i turned on/off by men...I only started developing feelings of that nature when i was in Yr 8, and then only for men.

3. CorporalPie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can't think of anything that "made me gay." I get along pretty well with both of my parents, for the most part, and always have. Since I figured out I was gay in seventh grade I have been sort of distancing myself from both of my parents, but thats because they both tend to be a little homophobic, I don't see how that would "make me gay" either. I've also almost always had only friends that are guys, with one or two exceptions; I've never seemed to get along with girls very well but with that I seem to be in the extreme minority.

I can't find anything in my life that would've caused it but maybe if it is your experiences that causes it, which I don't believe, it's something more subtle.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think there are events that made me realise I was gay, but not that caused it. I now believe I was born gay. When I was younger (especially before and while I came out) I wondered about possible causes, and tended to blame the five years at an all-boys boarding school. Now though I realise there were signs and clues from way before then. Boarding school probably made me more aware of it sooner, but it didn't cause it.

5. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I'm Gay because I was born this way, and no one is going to tell me otherwise.

6. Bryan

You can have the nature vs nuture debate all day long, but it wont help, basically I dont think we will ever know unless a "gay" gene is found. I think that it is a combination of millions of factors, but I think our genes and DNA make up have a lot to do with it. When I came out, I told those people I was born this way.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the first post zumbo said:

This thread is for us to say what we think caused us, individually, to be gay. It is not for discussing the mature-vs-nurture debate.

8. SpikySpice

Well, I guess I was borned thsi way but didnt realize it till I was 7 years old, and got abused by people

9. dreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    very few people iv spoken to have had the same experience as me. i found that there was a specific moment and in my mind i 'chose' to be gay. ive had the argument with myself whether it was to take the easy way out and not face men or for another reason, i decided that the reason i spent all my time thinking about my best friend was because i loved her and since then not looked back. i guess if i looked back it is no surprise that i am gay though i dont feel like i was 'born gay'. sorry about the ambiguity

10. xxAngelOnFirexx

i like to say i was born gay. i think i probably was. but if there was anything that may have caused it it could have been from when i was molested by a female babysitter when i was 4. i've met girls who swear they are gay because they were raped by a guy. so i don't think if gender really matters in what caused me to be gay. but i do think i was born that way.

11. xequar

Heh, one of my friends asked me the other day if there's something that made me gay. My reply-Yeah, my attraction to guys. As I look back, I realize I was always gay, and it just took me a long time to realize it. I know I was born gay. I was never abused, my parents both loved me, I'm an only child, et cetera.

12. LorenzG1950

Same here. Nothing made me gay. I always was gay, and boy, there were obvious signs along the way that I didn't miss but chose to ignore and didn't know how to deal with.

20/20 hindsight :rolleyes:

13. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I believe I was born gay. I can't think of anything from my past that would have made me gay. I had a lot of male friends (and female friends, too :-/), I had a great relationship with my father, etc. If anything, my past is only filled with moments that should have made it obvious that I was gay. :rolleyes:

14. Tom

Tom Guest

i dont think anythin caused me 2 b gay apart from genes tbh, i had a perfectly normal childhood, everythin usually associated with growin up 2 b gay such as bad relationship with dad, no male friends etc. just weren't present

15. ampthejazz

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what "caused" me to be gay. I'm gay, that's how I am, and I can't change, so contemplating the origin of my homosexuality is pointless.

16. JSG

JSG Guest

My birth caused my gayness.
    The trauma :eek:

17. Sam

Sam

you can wonder about why your gay all you want and its not going to do you any good.

I'm gay and thats it why I'm gay I don't know but the fact is that I am. I think its genetic or some kind of chemical thing in your brain that causes you to be gay and that you are born gay if your gay. so yes I believe I was born this way there is nothing I can do about it but embrace it and try to live a good life