1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Crush, Hush Hush

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by subaru000, May 7, 2010.

1. subaru000

Not really sure where to begin but I know that I'm expecting this to be lengthy. Sorry.

I finished my first year of college (nothing fancy, just a community college, for now) and since October I have noticed that this one guy (EVERYTHING that I want appearance wise: Latino (I'm guessing, or Hispanic), five seven or so, milky/olive skin, classic looks) began looking at me, giving me those looks that makes time slow down. Back then, I had classes later in the evening, so I wasn't really worrying about what someone would want to talk about when it was almost eight at night.

As the second semester began, I remember walking with my brother down towards another part of the campus where I see the same guy (this time with a different haircut, still pristine and perfect looking to me) and a friend. This time, I distinctly remember him turning away from his friend, walking down in another direction, to look me in the eye, this time twice for a few seconds.

A "Spring Fling" event was held at the college in March and this is where I pretty much knew he was into me. For a Composition assignment we were required to walk around and hear snippets (? about the spelling) of a conversation. What a coincidence. Before class, my brother and I walked around and noticed the event and I did not want to go, but somehow he convinced me to visit and see what it was about. My brother and I played volleyball with a few other guys after I saw him once again. When we were assigned the assignment, I walked around, suddenly noticed my brother and we walked back to the area where I spent the next ten minutes or so playing instead of talking to him. (Weird, I know, but it was my hear vs. my favorite sport. If it were my heart doing the thinking I would have skipped the rest of the day to try and talk to him). I returned to class with the thoughts of talking to him in mind and after my last class, I saw him (I know, I saw him loads of times) and this time it was only the two of us. Time stopped all around us and I didn't say a thing.

As the year progressed, we bumped into each other and I eventually found out his name, Luis, on the math tutoring part of the school's website. I have yet to talk to him and I don't know how to if I were to run into him. He has a FB account, (I learned that from looking on an acquaintance's page) and I haven't a clue of what to say because we haven't even talked. It also says he is into women but based on the ten or so "looks" I have a feeling it may be different.

In this situation (it's my summer vacation now), what should I have done differently, how should I feel about not talking to my first crush and what lessons have I learned (I hope I did) that parallels the experiences that you guys have had?

[Again, sorry for the long article, but it has been on my mind and ten pounds of stress have been lifted off my mind].

2. Jim1454

What should you have done? Well, I'm pretty sure I would have done exactly what you did when I was in college. Nothing. However, while it's easier said than done, it would have been better to at least say 'hi'. It really is better to try and get to know one another so that you aren't left with just these fleeting glances.

If you've found it facebook page, could you not say 'hi' there? Maybe tell him a little white lie about having seen his picture on someone else's page and recognizing it? (I don't know how these things work - as I don't have a facebook page!)

Otherwise, get out at college and meet other people. Maybe you'll have friends in common - or you'll meet someone else who 'rocks your world' who is openly gay and not 'interested in girls' as this guy's profile says.

Good luck - and enjoy your summer break.

3. subaru000

Thanks for the response, I was surprised when I saw that one was there.

I'm not sure if writing him would be the best thing to do because we've only seen each other at the most random of times. The 'looks' would last a second or two and I remember my heart skipping beats and not knowing what to do next. Is that a sign of anything?

Out of all of the guys that may be gay that I've noticed, he was the one I've 'seen' the longest and the one I've wanted to talk to most. I would hate starting something and not keeping up with it no matter what happens.

Oh well, another day, another question. Things have nowhere to go but up from here.