1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinsey scale?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by johny5000, May 8, 2010.

1. johny5000

Hi there!
    So I took a look at the scale and discovered I am a 4 or a 5, the thing is i didn't quite understood the difference between them, they're quite the same thing, aren't they?

And also, is the scale made to show ur homosexuality level?, and, How was it made? What were they based on to made it?.....I'm a bit curious

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The scale was simply a device used by Alfred Kinsey in the 1940s to show that sexuality wasn't an absolute. Instead of insisting that everybody was either gay or straight, it suggested that people definitely could fall in-between. (This was rather heady stuff back then.) It isn't meant to be either defining or confining. It's very likely that one's "kinsey rating" might change depending on when it's taken. I don't even think Kinsey meant for it to be a defining characteristic of a person.

Lex

3. Mogget

IIRC, originally, the Kinsey scale didn't refer to orientation, but activity. That is, zeroes had only had sex with member of the opposite sex, threes roughly equal, sixes only with the same sex. Those of us who fall between totally gay and totally straight have appropriated it and a lot of us use it to describe attraction, but it's hard to pin down.

Take me, right now, I'm considerably "straighter," if you will, than normal. That is, I find a number of women quite attractive. Earlier this year, it was much more a one-off, sort of "oh, she's hot. Weird" or even, "women and sex? How does that even make sense?"

I generally consider myself a 5, but that's more an average than anything.