1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approaching gay guys you've never talked to

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chonko3266, May 8, 2010.

1. chonko3266

I feel weird posting this thread but I would appreciate any advice!

I'm a freshman in college and I am interested in getting to know these two guys that I am pretty certain are gay. The problem is that I don't have classes with them and I don't really see them around enough to be able to just randomly strike up a conversation. The reason I know them and have seen them around is that we're all athletes on sports teams, so we're occasionally at athletic events together. We don't exactly have mutual friends though, so the possibility of meeting these guys through friends is ruled out.

I'm not really sure if I should talk to them or what! I could facebook them and send them a message, but that just feels so creepy and weird. If they weren't interested then I would feel brutally awkward if I ever ran into them. And then the other possibility is just waiting to see if we ever cross paths as that would be my opportunity to talk to them. That said, if a cute guy messaged me I would probably find it cute and get really excited...so I don't know. How would you guys feel if that happened?

Let me know what you think I should do about this! It would be really appreciated :grin:

2. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

well if ur all into sports then surely you will talk to em at that. least you can have an easy icebreaker talking about sports!

3. Connor22

walk near them and use a passive comment to just get yourself into a convorsation

4. Gambit

I'm in the same situation. I always see in my college's cafeteria a cute guy I'm 100% sure he is gay (i found him on facebook and his out). I dont know either how to start a conversation with him (he is always with his friends). I think it will be very weird/creepy/stalking to add him as a friend on facebook or send him a message.
    So, I guess this thread will be very helpful. Thanks for posting it haha

5. subaru000

Ditto Charlie Momey.

6. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

i would just say to u "wait a little longer" or wait for thr right momment :slight_smile:, if u rush u might lose the chance;

7. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

if u don't wanna show them u are g2y; just use jokes and college stories to make them interested;

8. Bryan90

This is what I've discovered through observation:

You know how we are always afraid that the other person would think of us as creeps for just adding the person on facebook, or just saying "hi, seen you around, I'm xxx, what's your name"; I find that most of it is exaggerated.

Of course there will be times when the other party will think of you as a weirdo, but I find that the chances of such occurences (especially in post high school scenarios) to be very limited. Most of the times, a person approached by a stranger who wants to get to know him/her more finds the experience flaterring, friendly, or just indifferent.

So I'd say, just go for it, you have much to gain but little to lose!

9. D_Alejandro

Compliments! Works all the time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are two rules for good conversation.

1. Find your common ground.
    2. Talk - or, better yet, ask questions - based on your common ground.

So, chonko, what's your common ground?

The reason I know them and have seen them around is that we're all athletes on sports teams, so we're occasionally at athletic events together.

There's your common ground. Work it.

"Hey, you two are on the lacrosse team, right? Hi, I'm chonko - I'm on the track team. I didn't see - how'd your team do last weekend?"

Charlie, where's your common ground?

I always see in my college's cafeteria a cute guy...

There's your common ground. Work it.

"Excuse me, is that the chimichanga you're eating? Is it any good? I've been wanting to try it."

Lex

11. ColdSnap

don't expect never ending flowing dialogue, but if you can ask a couple of questions and make them aware you exist then that's all you need, then you can speak to them when you see them again and build from there :slight_smile:

12. s5m1

As Lex pointed out, all it takes is a bit of small talk to get the conversation going. Most people are very receptive to meeting others. You don’t have to go up to someone with a big rainbow sign flashing. Just show some interest in them and see where the conversation goes. Don’t let fear of rejection stop you. The worst thing that will happen is that someone won’t be interested in reciprocating and you will move on. But, if you never try, you will be awfully lonely.

13. Miss Bubbles

okay being shy is cute but it can only get you so far dude. And I think that yopu should grow some and get to know them. So your all athletes right? Talk to them the next time your at a meet and get to know them. Pretty soon you wont think about it and conversation will become easier.