1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update/looking for advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Julien, May 9, 2010.

1. Julien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't posted here in a while...I realized that I'm FTM six months ago, I've been openly pansexual (my preferred term)/bi (what I tell people when I don't want to explain) since spring/fall 2008 (first few people spring, many more fall) yet only recently realized my gender identity. I have a supportive group of friends and a fairly supportive family, however there are still many people I need to come out to. How would you recommend coming out to people you don't usually see (probably via facebook IM)? I changed my name on facebook but irl my male name is a shortened version of my old name so people haven't really noticed. I also need to come out to a professor I have for the 4th time, because he already knows me there wasn't a time to say my preferred name on the first day so now that class knows me by my old name.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Julien (formerly Helene)

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not keep people abreast of your progress ON facebook? You can leave status updates like "Ran into my friend on the street, and he called me Julien right away. It felt so gratifying. It makes me think I've really made the right decision." Things like that might get the point across better than trying to track them down individually. If they DO contact you, and use your old name, just correct them. "I'm Julien now."

As to your professor, I'd just meet up with him a bit before or after class. And just say the same thing. "I"m actually Julien now, so could you call me that in class?"

Lex