1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm literally a click away from moving to another province.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, May 9, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

I've posted about this a couple times before, so here's me asking for advice...AGAIN.

Recently I went to Toronto for a concert, and also I spent the whole day exploring the city. I really liked it there. I felt that it was safe (we were walking around in the very early morning and in the middle of the night and I didnt feel threatened at all) and it was english!

I had wanted to move out there before, and now after experiencing the city first-hand, I feel like it would make my life a hundred times easier just to go.

My question is: where do I start? Meaning, should I be looking for a room/apt first, or a job? I already have a job at chapters and I think it'd would be fairly easy to get a transfer(here's hoping anyway) and then get a second job or something once I'm settled.

Suggestions? I really don't want to jump into something and regret it later, and I want to do this right.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what sort of jobs you normally take. If the jobs you normally have are in high demand, you can get an apartment first. But if not, you'll probably be better served looking for a job first, and getting the apartment after you have a reliable source of income.

Lex

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I would say definitely focus on the job first. I'm not sure how it works there, but I know here some landlords won't lease unless they know you're employed; it's happened to a few of my friends, the landlords want to be positive they'll get their money each month.

4. adam88

Yay! More Torontonians! :slight_smile: I'd look for a job first. What sort of job would you be looking at?

5. Jim1454

Do you have any idea how expensive it is to live in Toronto? Have you looked at the cost of renting apartments, and what you get for what price?!?

What about going back to school? I thought there had been a thread about that recently? Is that no longer part of the plan?

6. MusicIsLife

That's actually the biggest reason why I want to move. York, as I've found out has a sexuality studies program, something we don't have here, just a sexuality studies minor. I'd rather take it as a full course, and later double major in that and english.

And yes I know how insane the prices are, it's really not that much better here. I'm browing for a place to live in the suburbs around toronto, as opposed to living just in the downtown core, as it's usually cheaper. The extra long transportation doesn't really bother me that much, as I do that already.

7. Totoro

Well i live in the suburbs around the area- It's still quite expensive to live here (as it is in Toronto) I'm not really knowledgeable about any sort of places that are available. If you plan on going for studies maybe go for residence at the york university? It might be a bit expensive, and I'm not sure if you could get into the residence you'd have to call them about it.
    I just so happen to know about res. since i am probably moving into res. next year. =|

Edit: Link if you need: http://www.yorku.ca/stuhouse/undergrad/rescontracts.htm
    Hope that helps.
    Also- Toronto yay!

8. Jim1454

Well wouldn't the question be "Should I apply to university and get accepted before moving, or move and then apply?" The answer would be, apply first and move if you get accepted.

Have you looked into what student loans are available to students from out of the province? Does that work the same for residents and non-residents? There might be housing that you could find through the university housing office. And yes - you can live north of the city and use public transit to get to York. (I'm considering renting my townhouse out in Newmarket - but I'd be looking for $1400 or so + utilities. :icon_wink)

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Expensive? You people should try Vancouver... Toronto has nothing on it in terms of housing costs!

U of T also has a sexual diversity studies degree program. York is a more progressive university, however, and from what (little, granted) I've seen of undergrad education here, I'd be inclined to recommend against doing an undergraduate degree at U of T.

I would echo what everyone else has said re: sorting out the job first. Although as a student, that might not be such a huge concern. I'm a big believer in sorting stuff out well in advance, though. Although I realise some people actually do just move to new cities without much of a gameplan, I could never handle that kind of uncertainty.

City-wise, though, I would never leave Montreal to go to Toronto. And I say that never having lived in Montreal. :slight_smile: