1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So my mother could be in jail for up to a year.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, May 10, 2010.

1. I posted about it earlier. I really felt like dirt that night. I didn't do anything that drastic, but I was in a lot of pain. To ease the pain, I listened to some Nirvana and cut myself one or two times. It wasn't a plan or anything. It was out of impulse. I grabbed the nearest thing to distract myself from my mind. It helped for a little bit. I didn't expect to see her get out, but she came back on Saturday morning. She tried to hug me, but I pulled away. I went back into my room and punched my pillow as hard as possible. I wanted to beat her so badly that I could be behind the bars. My teeth have been clenched since that morning. When she was yelling at me and told me to help her clean up a mess she made in her room, I went off on her, telling her to get the fuck away before I hurt her. Even now, I want to kick her. She's made all of the memories I've been blocking out come back. I feel haunted. I am feeling pain every second. My stomach hurt so badly that I couldn't sleep last night. Whenever I see her, I want to scream. I want to fight. I want to get revenge for every single night she ruined in my life. Despite my current hostility, I still feel bad about her going to jail. Without her, I'm going to have to give my dog away and move in with my dad. I'd much rather have a miserable and stable home life than one that has to go through huge changes. She'll be there for a while, but I want to have her stay out. Even though I hate her guts right now, she's still my mother. She might be the biggest burden in my life, but I still feel some kind of masochistic, unconditional love for her. For every time I've held a knife to my wrist, I've wanted her to hug me. I wish she could be a perfect mother. All I've wanted is a stable, loving childhood. It's been over for years now, and I will never get it back. Some part of me feels guilty for not having tried hard enough to keep her away from the booze. I might be too young to have any influence in her life, but I wish I were taken more seriously by her. Every time I want to talk to her or vent, I end up getting yelled at and pushed away. Her screams ring in my ears for hours. I can't talk to her for more than two minutes without being forced away. Sometimes, I truly feel alone in this world. As I chase after what's left of my innocence, I lose more and more of my attachment to this earth. I want my life back.

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I'm terribly sorry that you are in such a horrible situation.

If you feel as if your mother is incompetent in the way in which she raises you or poses a threat to your safety, then you can go to social services and attempt to go into a foster home. As for still loving her - that is to be expected, seeing as she's your mother. It's completely understandable that below your focused anger there is someone who really cares for her and wants to see her stable.

As for your cutting, I would highly suggest that you try and find an alternative to this. It can be very dangerous and can lead to scarring. Punching a pillow, snapping elastics on your wrist, or even screaming into a pillow might help alleviate some of the stress that builds up from sudden events.

I would also suggest trying to see a counselor about this (a therapist or psychologist). Being able to open up to someone and have them there to listen can be a huge help in trying to reduce distress in your life.

Good luck.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can love your mother, while still NOT loving the choices she made, or the person she becomes when she drinks.

First off, as tough as it is, try to act as adult as possible with your mother. For both your sakes. It WILL be tough as nails, but it'll make things a lot better in the long run. This doesn't mean you can't have feelings - it just means trying to channel those feelings into something as constructive as possible.

So don't just push your mother away. Try to verbalize to her what you're feeling. This is going to be tough, but you can do it. Keep everything about YOU when you talk to her. Don't accuse her of anything - she knows what she's done, presumably. Talk about how YOU're feeling, about YOUR fears and concerns.

"When this happens, I feel betrayed. I feel like you're putting my home life in jeopardy, and that scares me."
    "When you got back and tried to hug me, I felt like I was supposed to just pretend everything was OK. And I don't think I can do that."
    "When you call to me to help you clean up this mess you made, I get pissed. I had to take care of the house while you were gone, and I feel like I've done enough for one weekend."
    "I'm scared that if you go to jail, I'll have to get rid of my dog and move back in with Dad. I'm scared of having to go through that change. But I'm also scared that if you don't go to jail, this is just going to keep repeating until you do."

Lex

4. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    By the way, mate, you still have several years of childhood left. I'd trade with you and be 14 again in a flash. It will take work, lots of hard work, but when you get your feet under you you will see its all VERY worthwhile. Im so glad you made it through the last couple days. Sounds like they were pretty terrible. Sounds like the prospect of living with your dad isn't too life-supporting. Maybe it will take a bit of pressure off and give you a chance to get what you know you need. my prayers are with you!

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As hard as it is to understand, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY you can make your mother stop drinking. She, and she alone, has to make that decision. Most every wife/husband/son/daughter/parent of an alcoholic or drug addict goes through a period of believing it is his or her responsibility or fault that his or her loved one is drinking, but that is simply not true.

You need to find an Alateen chapter near you. Alateen is a group for teen children of alcoholics. They provide support and help you with understanding your parent's illness.

I would also disagree a little bit with Lex. Sometimes, it may simply be too painful to try to stay engaged with the alcoholic, particularly if she is not showing any willingness to change. And from what you're describing, you might be in one of those spots. You can still be respectful, but if withdrawing emotionally to protect yourself is what feels right, it may be what you need to do in the short term. You can always go back later and reconnect either when you're feeling stronger, or when she has cleaned up some.

You need to put yourself first. Your mother's drinking is not your fault, you can't stop it, and there is almost nothing you can do to influence it. So focus on taking care of yourself, loving yourself, believing in yourself. As much as the change of going to live with your dad may suck, it may at least provide a little more stability for you. And I would ask the Alateen people if they can hook you up with some counseling or therapy. Having a professional to talk to will help a lot in understanding what you're feeling, helping you to stop the cutting behavior, and getting a deeper understanding of your family dynamic and how you can choose to make decisions for yourself even if your mom is unwilling to make any good decisions for herself.

Hang in there. It does get better. Feel free to contact me if you would like to speak further.

Edit: Fixed the error that Lex pointed out.

#5 Chip, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Your drinking is not your mother's fault, you can't stop it, and there is almost nothing you can do to influence it.

I'm guessing you mean "your mother's drinking is not your fault"? :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yikes. That's what happens when I post when not fully focused.