1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i tell family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ilayis, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I have really been out there with finding out if someone is homophobic so I know who I can tell.I have had people say its the way they were raised,that I should keep it to myself,that its not christian,and its not right.The only person in my family that I believed I could tell about myself was my mother.She said "I only want you to be happy".Well that made me happy,but I'm still afraid of telling my dads side and still most of my moms side of the family.Should I just keep it to myself or should I let my mostly gay hating family know of me?Plz help me I would truly appreciate it!

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I say it's always better to come out. These people in your family have preconceived notions on homosexuality. To know somebody is gay that they love changes hearts and minds for most. Yes, there will be a few whom it won't but still, it's always better to be out.

3. Jim1454

From your previous post it sounded like your dad reacted pretty strongly (almost violently) when the topic came up the last time. So while I agree with Becky, I guess every situation is different.

There's no hurry, so do it when you're comfortable and ready!

4. SpikySpice

Jim and Becky are right, you should comke out, because that's your pide, but you do not rush, just take time

Even though your dad had a bad reaction on you, but that was only an temporary emotion, and he will understand soon, and so will your family and relatives, they may be shock and have bad reactions at first, but they will still love you

5. Bryan

It may be hard, really hard, but if you feel ready and want to, you should comeout. They are your family, and most likely will support you, even though it may not seem like it at first. Also, it sounds like your mom is supportive, rely on her for support, and help in this situation. Just remember to take your time and be ready to face your family.

6. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

well i told my dad again that I'm bi in a letter I'm sending to him.He's in prison,so I think he has enough time to think about it.Hopefully he thinks differently and supports me as much as I'm supporting him.Now I'm wondering if he was using when he acted like that back then?I love you all for the support.You are right SpikySpice,it is my pride,and I feel a lot of pride in myself for telling my dad again.I feel confident now in telling everyone else.I give you all,myself,and EC for getting this out.Lets all hop it comes out(no pun intended) in a positive light!

7. SpikySpice

BRAVO

you have done an exellent job:icon_bigg:eusa_clap

I hope your dad will understand and accept who you are(*hug*)

And remember, be proud of who you are, dosent matter what the heck is going on around you, not because you are stubborned, not because you are a bad son, it's because you have been made this way, and you gotta keep your pride

Well, and I hope you'll be succeeding coming out to other people, just take time, when you feel break down, talk to us, we'll help ya:icon_bigg

8. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

thanx,and I'll return the favor to all who need as much help and support as i do when its needed.:thumbsup: (*hug*)

9. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wish I could tell you that I have done it and it all worked out, but I'm trying to do the same thing. I think from what I'm experiencing, that taking your time is about the best thing you can do. Be brave and you do have the support of many members behind you when you chose to tell them!:thumbsup: