1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not quite liberated

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, May 11, 2010.

1. Just last Friday I came out to everyone at school and it was literally every gay kids dream. Everyone was incredibly supportive and so far no one has had anything negative to say. However, I dont really feel any sort of difference, I am still VERY uncomfortable talking to people who aren't my close friends about things like sex and guys I like. I guess im still afraid it would upset or gross people out if I talk about it so I dont. The thing is, I was hoping the whole coming out would also make finding a boyfriend easier cause then at least people would know. Its just weird, I'm so happy I have had such an amazing coming out, but it seems like nothing has changed.

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you need to give it time.

I had those same feelings when I first came out, but I got used to them. As long as their is ignorance and prejudice in the world you'll feel a little uncomfortable.

3. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done for coming out, thats really good news. Dont worry too much about feeling liberated because I always think sometimes that coming out is a bit of an anticlimax sometimes. And I think most people would feel uncomfortable talking about sex (straight or gay) with people they dont know that well. Give it some time, you have done so well already by telling them all. Also think about what you may have done for the closeted kids at your school. You never know some boy or girl at your school may be completely in the denial with their sexuality and by coming out you have opened up some emotional barriers they may have had.

Hope you have had a good day
    xxxx

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the important thing to know is that coming out is one thing, but being out is another. Even though almost everyone now knows, you still spent years in a world where no one (or only a very few people) knew. You trained yourself to keep these things hidden. It's going to take more than a week to get used to that.

Also, not talking about sex and guys to people who aren't close friends isn't really strange. Being out and going into details about sex and guys aren't necessarily contradictory. On the other hand, now that people know, they might bring it up in conversation anyway. Which would make it easier to go into further, if you so like.

While boyfriends might not have jumped into your lap after a day, being out makes it easier to find one. But finding one will still involve a bit of searching.

Coming out is the end of your closeted life, yes, but it's also just the beginning of your out life. You made a good start, but getting what you want will still involve living your life and learning as you go along.
    You're feeling happy now. So use that good feeling, and work from there. Things will change. They just take more than a week...

5. olides84

Exactly! Where I think you'll feel the liberation the most right now is just not worrying about hiding it. Leaving your closet. I think you'll get to the liberation of an open/out life as the months go by, and especially since you head to university in the fall. Because there, your opportunities to simply be out increase ten-fold (meeting new people, getting involved in organizations, etc.). Congrats on your coming out :eusa_clap

6. D_Alejandro

Hey now that's really good! Don't be down on yourself and cheer up! And congratulations. :thumbsup:

7. otc877

otc877 Guest

People generally aren't particularly fond of change. It'll be uncomfortable for a while (just like it is with any change) until you get used to it.

Give it time.