1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECT (ElectroConvulsive Therapy)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mitchell, May 12, 2010.

1. Mitchell

I've been receiving ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy / electro shock therapy) for some time now. I've been depressed for most of my life. I'm 18, and I'd say I've been depressed for about 9 years.

I desperately want to feel happy, but am really lost and confused. I feel as though I'm a burden on my mother for putting her through all of this and that I am a big cause of stress in her life.

right now I'm getting shock therapy 3x a week.

I still feel seriously depressed. I'm lost and confused as to what to do, I really want to feel happy again.

I feel like I'm just a burden on those around me. I want to be happy and I want to make them happy.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should deal with the depression? I'm open to suggestions -- I've been seriously depressed for most of my life and I just want to feel normal.

Thanks

Mitchell

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Mitchell,

I responded to your ECT thread elsewhere so I won't repeat that part here.

But what is your history in trying to work with your depression? What sort of medication, therapy, counseling have you had, and how many therapists or psychiatrists? Therapy is very, very individual and no two therapists have the exact same approach, so you may have just not yet found one you really connect with, who can help you in a meaningful way.

If you can provide a little more information I might have some suggestions that can help.