1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cosignlove, May 13, 2010.

1. cosignlove

I was born a female. However, ever since I was a small child I've felt that I ought to be a boy. Now I am 15 years old and have recently gone through the coming out process to my friends and family, and I now have a beautiful girlfriend with whom I'm very publicly affectionate. The coming out process for me was very positive. It has made me so much happier with who I am and really made me feel like a real, live person! But as I become more involved with the LGBT community, the more appealing being transgender seems to me. I'm so much more comfortable when I wear boys' clothing and I am very tomboyish in habits as well. I'm just afraid both of losing my girlfriend because of this and of my mother's reaction. She was most uncomfortable with me being gay. If there is anybody transgender out there who can help me? I'll take any bits of advice. thanks so much.

2. adam88

Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

Have you tried talking to a counselor? I've known several Trans people and I know from this that there is a procedure that needs to be followed with regards to transitioning - you need to spend a certain amount of time living as the other sex before getting hormones, for example. Getting a plan together might be a good first step before you let people know of your decision. :slight_smile: At least then you'll be absolutely sure you made the right choice at the right time and be able to answer any questions they might have.

Also, as an aside, things like hormones and surgery are optional, not necessary. Just thought I'd add that in there as it seems like a common misconception. :slight_smile:

3. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC. I think you've come to the right place. We do have some transgendered people here who I'm sure can offer some advice.

What I'll say is that for everyone, this is a process that can take different amounts of time for each person. There's no rush. If you like wearing boys clothes, then go ahead. If you like doing tomboyish things, carry on. There isn't a real need to create a lot of drama in your life right now if it isn't entirely necessary. It really depends on how strongly you feel about it, and how sure you are about your feelings on this topic.

I'd say hang out here for a while. See what others have to say.

Good luck.