1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wtf!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danielle, May 19, 2010.

1. Danielle

Danielle Guest

My life seems to move from one fucked up place to an even more fucked up place, I don't know what I am supposed to do to change this because the path I am on at the moment is leading on a one way path to killing myself. I don't want that but for now I don't see how I can change the circumstances I'm in.

I was in the youth mental health ward of John Hunter hospital recently and while I was there I raised the issue of my gender identity so while I was there I met an endocrinologist and he made and it was made crystal clear to me that he will not be treating my with testostorone blockers in the near future which I can't deal with because I need to transitition now because if I have to live as a man I will have no future.

I have gotten to the point where I am even considering self mutilation as a means of getting what I want because if I am not going to get hormone blockers in the near future I know I will end up cutting my testes as the means of stopping the hormones from making their way around my body.

I don't want to have to end up in the place where I act on my thoughts but I have no idea how I can stop myself from getting to that place.

2. Miss Bubbles

Why won't he give them to you???????

3. Eleanor Rigby

Hey Danielle,
    I know you're in a bad spot right now and I can imagine that not being able to transition yet must be a huge huge frustration. However, this is not worth hurting yourself. So please calm down. Your transition is going to happen sooner or later. I know you'd prefer sooner than later, but you're only 17. It's not worth taking any risk with your life when you are going to be able to transition, if not now, in a few years top.
    Do you know why this doctor refused to prescribed you testosterone blockers ? Maybe he has a good reason to do so for the time being.
    If not, why not trying to see another doctor ? If possible someone who has experience with transgender patients.
    Take care (*hug*) and don't do anything stupid. Everything comes in its own time.

#3 Eleanor Rigby, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not entirely certain why your doctor won't prescribe testosterone blockers, either. I'm going to go on the assumption that it's something like he feels you don't "really know what you want", and are "too young to make a decision like this". (Feel free to correct me if I'm off base at all here.)

If so, your ploy to get him to capitulate is exactly what you DON'T want to do. Because what you'd be doing is tantamount to a temper tantrum. You know, the standard "I can't get what I want, so I'm going cry and cause a scene until they give in." And frankly, I think that's going to be the wrong approach. Because it'll make the doctor think "See? He's acting like a kid. There's no way he REALLY knows what he wants."

A rule for you, and all others who don't like "being treated like a kid" - the best way to be treated like an adult is to act like one.

So how do you do that here? You find out precisely what the doctor's concerns are. You address them. Logically, with facts rather than emotional pleas. You tell him how long you've felt this way, you explain all the research you've done, you let him know the therapists you've seen who agree with your assessment. If you haven't seen a therapist yet, start right away. Find one who specializes in gender-questioning youth. Once you get the therapist on board, the two of you can find a doctor who will agree with your take.

Lex

5. Jim1454

You want to transition from male to female. I understand that. Others here understand that. Even the doctor you met with likely understands that.

However, how much do you know about the process that is usually employed? I don't know a lot about it, but I'm sure you could read up on it. I believe that it's much more than just a physical transformation. There is an emotional and psychological aspect to it that also needs to be considered. So if you were in a youth mental health ward, there might be something going on in your life that indicates that you are not in the right mental or emotional space right now to proceed.

What is important is to approach this in a mature and rational way. I know you're upset rigiht now, but threatening to harm yourself doesn't demonstrate that you're in a good mental and emotional state either. Instead, have a calm discussion with your doctor, and see what he would expect of you, and what a reasonable time line would be for you to get this done.

6. 4 seat

In California, state law requires you have to go through a series of rigorous consultations and sessions with a psychologist to make sure you understand the implications of sex changes. Then, with no outside assistance, you have to live and present yourself as the member of the sex you're aiming to change as, in every aspect of your life (besides regular doctor visits), for 12-18 months. Then, after more rigorous assessment during and at the end of that time period, it's determined whether or not you can begin hormone therapy and the anatomical changes. All this is to insure that it's not a whim, and that mental stability with the changes is achieved.

At least, this is how it was 3 years ago when I learned this in my Psych of Sexuality Class. I don't know if this is still accurate and I have no idea what it is in Australia.

It says that you brought up your gender identity issue WHILE you were in the mental ward of a psych hospital. This means you were there for another, probably far more pressing issue than your sexual identity. It takes a lot to be 5150'd. I would definitely take care of that problem first. I doubt that any doctor would approve elective hormone therapy for someone who is deemed mentally unstable enough to be in a psych ward. While your sexual health is important, your overall mental health is much more vital to even function.

And DO NOT self mutilate. As much as you're willing to do anything it takes, that would end horribly on ALL accounts. Your testicles produce more than just testosterone, and it would mess with your system in a lot of ways. You would have a HUGE chance of infection and a host of other things that can happen with any procedure that's not done 100% correctly. After you did it, you wouldn't be able to move very much, definitely not able to walk. And last, but not least, it would hurt like shit. Have you ever been kicked in the balls? I'm guessing it would be 1000000000000 times worse. Overall, it's just not a good idea, please don't do it. I'm seriously cringing just thinking about it right now. Yikes.

If you feel that you're in the wrong body, that's totally fine and it should be dealt with- but RATIONALLY. It's not a quick process and it takes more than a doctor saying "ok let's pump you full of hormones and cut up your junk". I can only imagine the kind of dedication it takes. Not only that, you're 17, you have sooo much more growing to do, physically, mentally and emotionally. Hell, I definitely have a lot more growing to do. Be patient, there's no rush.

Last but not least, good luck buddy.

7. padre411

Please don't do this. There is no place for a tourniquet if you do this. Jim is right. Please don't assume that near-term frustration means no hope for a future.

Peace,