1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook outing help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by British Lad, May 19, 2010.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I want to put up that I am gay on Facebook but I don't have the balls to do it because of fear of rejection and people putting up homophobic comments. Also I have friends on Facebook who are a gay couple I have told them I am gay. Any tips because I want To break free and I can't do that until people know.

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I was like that and I just bit the bullet and if the comments came up was just to delete them. Never ever happened and most people were just like "Well done", "Wow i didn't know!" etc. You can be surprised at people who you think will but really don't when they find someone close to them is gay the do change there tune!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The general tactic to take is:

1. assume most of them already know
    2. act like it's no big deal

So you might post a status update that says something like "For those that missed the memo, I'm gay. And now, this gay kid has to go fix dinner."

Lex

4. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll be fine, trust me. Nothing happened when I did it, and my friends were all like "yeah...and, so?" Hell, there wasn't even an announcement posted by Facebook, though I think that may have changed now. If there isn't, people you know rarely check that part of your profile anyway.

Of course, most of my friends sorta knew already...even some of their parents had guessed by then.

5. dude99

dude99 Guest

It be good if your family is on facebook for them to know on your sexuality before you come out on facebook.

#5 dude99, May 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
  6. If they post homophobic shit, then you can tell that they're a fucking coward. If they don't even have the balls to say it to your face, then there's nothing to be afraid of. Cowards will hide behind the internet to say shit to people. I hate those kinds of people, and they aren't worth anyone's time. Keep that in mind. :slight_smile:

7. totallyfierce

I say do it. Post it. If you recieve hatful comments, delete that person from your friends list. If they can't accept you for who you truly are, then they aren't really your friend.

8. Zach1992

I just changed my 'interested in' & told people to look at my info. I didn't say "I'm gay." until someone asked.

9. concklin

here's what i did when i came out on facebook:

i did a normal friends' list clean-out - basically going through the whole list and deleting people that really have no reason to actually be my friend on facebook.

then i saw the people that were left. if anyone on the list that didn't already know about me were to have a problem with it, i could easily stop talking to them for that reason.

so i changed the info. however - i just like to avoid attention altogether and after i changed it, i deleted the post saying i changed it, so it didn't show up in everyone's feed. it was still public for all friends to see, but no one was being notified that i'm "interested in men"

and i don't think anyone said anything to me about it. if anyone did, it was a friend who already knew about me.

but once you change the "interested in" field, you'll start getting gay-related advertisements on the side of the page. i have to remember that whenever i have facebook open in class and there will either be an ad showing two dudes getting pretty close or just a very noticeable rainbow :newcolor:

***as for the family thing (or anyone else on facebook that you can't delete but at the same time they can't know you're gay)***
    mess around with the privacy settings until you're sure they can't see your info

10. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Thanks my Mum, Dad, step-dad, Step mum, brother, one of my cousins and some friend know I am gay I am no to worried about most people just 2 uncles that I don't seem much.

11. DexterMorgan

I had already put my preference to "men" when I signed up. I put a memo on my info about people having a problem with it though...They can just click the back button. :slight_smile:

12. otc877

otc877 Guest

I gurantee that if you get any kind of negative reaction, there'll be many more comments putting that person down for being homophobic.

13. British Lad

British Lad Guest

well I changed my interreases on face book I had it private first because I left it open for the change, and I made sure that that annusment was not there. I wounder how long it will take please to notice?

14. dude99

dude99 Guest

so you put your interested in men only?

15. British Lad

British Lad Guest

yes but much people have notice yet :lol:

16. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I'v heard, it seems that a lot of peple change their interested in and get no comments, so dont be too surprised if no one says anything about it on facebook. There's a chance they wont.

I wish I had that kind of bravery but dude99 brings up a good point, i'm friends with cousins and aunts and stuff and my parents dont know yet... Oh well, guess I gotta wait.

17. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I changed my "interested in"thing over a year ago, and no one noticed. That was not a big deal at all, really. The bigger deal came later on. Back in December, I don't really know why, I just kinda got the urge to out myself in a big way, so I put up an update which blatantly said I'm gay. And honestly, I'm so glad I did. I'm now out to a few family members and they have been so utterly completely awesome. I never once received a homophobic comment. You probably won't either, so best of luck! :slight_smile:

18. paco

paco Guest

most people don't have the guts to say anything nasty. and tbh not all that many people look. 6 months after i changed it i still had to tell a bunch of my friends. i liked having the truth up though because it's a lot less stress when you don't feel like people have a false impression of you--and that mostly applies to new people because that's the page that pops up when non-friends take a peek at your profile, and then you don't have to come out to them awkwardly in person.

19. dude99

dude99 Guest

Congratutions!

20. British Lad

British Lad Guest

As an update no one has sayed anything about it at all on Facebook do you think I should make it blatant coz most of my family know by now or just leave it saying I am gay in the interests page?

#20 British Lad, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010