When to brake it off?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheEdend, May 21, 2010.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

So, I need to advice on how to know when a relationship is really over or if you just have to stick it out for a while until it gets better.

My boyfriend and I have been fighting like crazy this past week. About every little thing I do or don't do. I'm the type of guy that is pretty laid back about thing and I just don't like having to text every 5 min or so ALL day long. In the other hand, my bf is the kind of guy that is really cheezy, thoughfull and wanting to be there all the time, which is great but it annoyes me that his happines seems to rely on wether I respond fast enough, make the right comments or give him enough attention.

I think I love him. I lvoe being with him and he has made me realize many thing about myself. He is a true friend and I love him for that, too.

That being said, I don't know if I'm jsut forvign myself to stay with him. I talked to him about it and he said to lets give it one more week. Either way, this all left a question that I don't have the answer to.

When do you know its time to brake up rather than trying harder?

(sorry for the rant. I just need to vent a little xD)

2. Jim1454

It's break, not brake.

And relationships don't fix themselves. Leaving it for a week (or any length of time) to see how things are then isn't going to solve anything. Relationships improve by communicating honestly with each other about what's going on - the good stuff as well as the bad stuff. You say you talked to him, but what did you talk to him about?

3. NkyJ

You both need to address the problems that you have with one another and then proceed from there to work towards a common goal.

4. Connor22

try sitting down with him and say to him
    "look I think I am in love with you and I would love to see this relationship continue but I would like to just explain a few problems I have been experiencing, just let me get them out and then you have a go, then we try and sort them out" and then you say what you think is wrong, then let him do the same to you. listen to his problems and try and come up with solutions. that's probably the best way or at least what I think the best thing is to do, you don't have to even use those words but what is important is that you talk to each other and work out your problems good luck beardy lol

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Opps, sorry. That word has always given me problems xD

We talked about the things that have been bothering me. I told him that I hated feeling like his happiness depended solely on me. I want him to be truly happy and I just hate being the guy that brings him down. I also told him that the things that bring him down are soo small to me that I don't think I can stop all of them.

He basically blamed himself for being so sensitive and overreacting. The thing is that I think he is just saying that so we don't brake up. I want to be with him, but I don't want him to feel like he is changing who he is for me. I don't want that kind of responsability.

I can't think straight right now xD Sorry if any of that doesn't make sense. I actually don't know why I need this thread to help me with this. It should be rather simple, but, for some reason, I'm lost and im not comfortable enough to talk about my relationship wiht any of my friends

6. olides84

Nah, don't worry, this makes a lot of sense. And the thing is, I don't think you should feel bad if he wants to work on changing for the sake of your relationship. Because in my opinion, this character trait is very unhealthy for him and will lead to very unbalanced relationships in his life. So I'm not saying that you should break it off or not, but just saying that you have reasonable concerns, and his changing due to that is not a negative thing.