1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend doesn't care that I'm gay! :) A little too much...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dewey, May 21, 2010.

1. Dewey

So, I came out to another one of my friends today and it was a quick thing. We were in her washroom and I just said it (I swear, it's just getting easier and easier!). I was very happy I said it to her, but it seemed like she didn't care at all. For a second, she looked happy for me but it was like I told her a big secret and she just brushed it off. I felt a little hurt by her lack of response. Have(n't) any of you finally gained the courage to come out to someone and they treat it like such a little thing that it feels as if they don't care at all?

Oh, and to make things clear, I'm not complaining about how it went. Nothing bad really happened. I'm just wanting to know if her "non" reaction means that I told her too quickly, and she just didn't know what to say.

Thank you, my chaps.

2. TroubledRyan

she could have just figured it already,befor you told her...so it wasn't such a big thing to her. that may also be her way of coping with it.

if you want,you can talk to her about it,and see how she responds after that.

3. Mogget

Not necessarily. There are two likely scenarios:

Scenario One
    You have just experienced the disconcerting feeling of knocking at a door at the same instant it's been opened. I got it all the time.

A lot of people honestly do not care if you're gay or straight. A sizable number don't care so much, that they don't really get why it'd be a big deal. One of my cousins was like that. When I told her she was the first person I'd told without being asked, she sort of got why it had been a big deal, but even then, it wasn't to her.

As it becomes less of a big deal to you (and it will), it'll feel less odd to get a minimal response. It isn't an insult, it just means they're so okay with it that it doesn't register.

Scenario Two
    It was off-putting (number of possible reasons why). She wasn't quite sure how to respond. And so, she didn't respond. I've had that happen, too.

4. x2x2x2x2y2

^I agree.

I wouldn't say there's anything to worry about. Since she didn't show anger or anything negative, I would assume she's ok with it.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've had several months (if not years) to come to grips with your sexuality. She had about five seconds. Don't judge people on their initial reactions, or by stray looks, or one or two things they say. If she seemed supportive and non-threatened, then that's all to the good.

Lex

6. paco

paco Guest

i would imagine that sometimes people disregard it to further prove that it doesnt matter to them. it may be over-sensitivity to your situation, and it could just mean she cares. she doesn't want you to feel like you're some sort of freak by examining you and prodding you like some alien in Area 51.

if you want to keep talking about it with her, bring it up, ask for help, or just talk about guys.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes to me, no reaction is better than a bad one. But I understand how you feel, sometimes you want someone excited that you told them. :slight_smile: I think you should talk to her and just ask why she had such a stoic approach and tell her you just kind of felt offended that she had no reaction and treated it like such a little deal. Hope it goes ok. And at least you're out :grin: