1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help for friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lady Gaga, May 22, 2010.

1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Uh, okay.

So I have a friend named Isaiah, basically he is psychotic. He over-exaggerates everything and is a complete drama queen. But the real problem is, he is literally suicidal because of it.

His latest attempt was last night, he texted me saying "Tell Jared he killed a good friend" I said "What?" He said "I just took 15 pills an hour ago"

I then continued the conversation, found out he tried to overdose on vitamins, which he thought were painkillers, and that he claimed he wanted to "relax." No, saying someone killed you right before you said you took 15 pills is attempted suicide, not trying to relax.

But what possible reason could he have to commit suicide? Because Jared doesn't care that Isaiah is gay. Isaiah says "It's too good to be true! I need to die because of it!"

Before that idiotic excuse, it was because he liked someone who didn't like them back. A problem everyone has regardless of sexuality, but it was somehow special only to him.

I have made him go to the school counselors, and told him to get psychiatric help (which surprisingly didn't upset him.) I even found a psychiatrist near here that specializes with LGBT youth.

I don't know what more I can do. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to do? :frowning2:

#1 Lady Gaga, May 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't going to be easy. It sounds like Isaiah is one of those people who has learned to fulfill his basic human need for human interaction via drama, and (potentially) negative and dangerous situations. And each time you're there for him...without meaning to, you're reinforcing these actions. They're "working" - he's getting the attention/interaction he desperately craves. And the problem is that these things tend to snowball. Already, it's presumably difficult for you to extract yourself from the situation, and it'll simply continue to get worse.

What can you do? Tough as it may seem, you may have to (metaphorically) walk away.

You need to have a talk with Isaiah. A serious one. And you need to lay it out. He's got some heavy-duty issues to work out, and he can't do it alone. And you're neither old enough nor well-trained enough to offer the right kind of assistance. In short, he's going to have to go into therapy of one kind or another. And until he does, you're going to have to cut contact. Because his issues are now affecting you as well, and you've got enough on your plate without also being made to try to deal with his issues too. Tell you you think he's a good guy, but he needs to start getting help now, because you're no longer able to.

Lex

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That actually makes complete sense. Thank you Lexington. I will soon.

4. Aoifeee

Encouraging him to seek psychiatric help is the best you can do, in my opinion. It sounds like he knows how to wrap people around his little finger by acting out and "threatening" his life. Do not be an enabler, do not give in to this behaviour.