1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Drunk and outing yourself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, May 24, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Does anybody ever get worried about getting drunk and outing yourself??

Saturday, I went to a party and was drinking for the first time. It was at my sisters house(not the sister that knows that I'm gay). I didn't drink too much, because I was afraid that I would tell her/others that I was gay. I'm pretty sure she would be ok with it(She's had a gay friend/co-worker before). Also, there were a ton of my nieces and nephews that were there and I don't think I want them to know till they're a bit older.

This kinda bummed me out. I felt like I couldn't completely let loose. Something I'm kinda living by right now is having fun, relaxing, and not being all tense. And while I did relax and have fun, I still felt like I had a leash on. I hate feeling like being gay is something that holds me back.

Overall I didn't let this ruin my mood and I had an amazingly great time. But I just wanna know how others handle stuff like this.

Btw, I know I'm too young to drink anyways and I probably shouldn't, but it's something that I've never experienced and have been wanting to try for a long time now.

2. RaRa

It depends how much control you have. I'm actually more alert when drunk than when I'm sober. xD Odd but it comes in handy so I've never had this particular problem....

3. x2x2x2x2y2

According to my sis' boyfriend, my family has a knack for telling secrets when we're drunk. lmao So I probably would be one to tell people. Especially because I truely do wanna tell people.

4. Notreallysure

It's something that I am really scared about doing. I am completely in the closet and when I'm drunk I want to tell someone. I think I want it to happen (deep down) and be done with it. By the way, if you do drink, don't drink and drive. I made a stupid decision recently concerning drinking and driving. Luckily no one was hurt, but it's costing me a lot of money, it has hurt my reputation and pride, and is going to negatively affect future plans. It isn't worth it. Trust me.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

^Well I don't drive. And btw, I'm glad nobody was hurt in your accident. It could have been worse.

6. Whelan

Whelan Guest

I actually get more straight when I've been drinking. Which is a little odd.

7. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Naa i don't care anymore. Im out to the main people so its not going to be a major deal if I say something.

8. x2x2x2x2y2

^that's pretty awesome and weird at the same time. lol

9. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to think of it this way. If I get drunk and I out myself to people, then that's excellent. Then when I come out to them, we're all in a more calm and understanding situation. Being drunk makes it a lot easier to be honest with people... That being said, I drink a good amount (college student lol) and as much as I'v thought about it, even when I'm drunk I haven't said a thing about it to anyone. When you've been working to keep something a secret for so long, chances are you will keep it until you willingly decide it's time to let go and come out. So I dont think you need to worry too much, and if you do, well then you wont need to do it later!

10. Whelan

Whelan Guest

It's not foolproof though, I was a little drunk at a party once discussing a friend who may have been bi...I shouted dibs, everyone looked at me weirdly and I said "Wait, no I meant snap. Carry on"

11. AlyssWonderland

Me and my friends just dont drink. ^_^

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I used to have that fear but it wasn't only for drinking. Before coming out I had to watch everything I said and be very careful not to slip. I was actually pretty good at it but, like you, I felt like it was really holding me down. At one point I couldn't handle it anymore and had to come out xD

If you don't want to come out then I would suggest to get drunk with some of your friends that know. That way you will know how you act when drunk. (Be responsible with it though xD) And you will also learn how horrible getting drunk feels haha

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe next time you start drinking with your friends, before you get too drunk, you can start staying a bunch of fake stuff. "You know what? Once I killed a giraffe. With my bare hands. Serves the bastard right for trying to eat the leaves out of MY trees." If you start saying crap like that, saying "I'm gay" will be just one more "weird thing he said when he was drunk". :slight_smile:

Lex

14. revolutionrock

I worried about that too, but it really didn't come up when I was drunk before I was out. I think I'm just really distractable - my mind was everywhere but my sexuality. Thank you, lack of focus! In any event, you can always pretend it didn't happen. It's so easy the next day to be like, "oh man, I was so drunk! I don't remember a thing."

So, you know, nbd. :slight_smile: Drink responsibly!

15. x2x2x2x2y2

I also worry about getting drunk and trying to make out with a guy. Lol

16. paco

paco Guest

i used to be afraid of that too, but i've been blackout drunk and never said a word. i did tell a bunch of friends while drunk once, but i had planned it in advance and the alcohol was just a tool to give me courage lol.

what confuses me is that you want to tell people.. but you don't want to? if you want to tell people i think you should. you can put something off forever because it's scary but in the end it's all just excuses. if it's JUST fear that stands in your way and not some kind of real danger, it's time to overcome it. it's not like they're going to release the hounds on you and begin the hunt right?

17. x2x2x2x2y2

^yeah but, right now, I only want to tell a couple people. Like I said, my nieces and nephews were around when I drank, and I don't wanna tell them yet. I want to tell my sis without drinking, but I don't see her often by herself. She always has her kids. And when I came out to everyone that I have come out to so far, it wasn't planned. It was just when it felt right.

I'm kinda too scared to plan it because I don't know if I would be able to go through with it.

18. paco

paco Guest

look, only God can plan life. not saying you believe in God, i myself sit on the border of atheism and agnosticism. but the bottom line is, there are too many uncontrollable variables in the world. saying that you can plan something definitely will almost always fail because odds are some tiny coincidence will change everything, and i mean everything.

so while it's good to let it feel right, don't fool yourself into thinking you will be able to plan that moment, because putting it bluntly, your plans will fail, and you will have to wait again. (this is my tough love side)

#18 paco, May 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  19. x2x2x2x2y2

^thats not what I meant. I meant that I am too afraid to plan to tell her and that I'd rather wait till the moment is right, whenever that is.

20. Harve

I vaguely remember wailing to my mum when i was drunk once saying something like "i can't tell you till i'm 18!" (i didn't specify what). I came out to her a month later :grin:

But i've only ever got with girls when i'm drunk :S.