1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Careers

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Notreallysure, May 24, 2010.

1. Notreallysure

I graduated college last week, and I have a few questions for older viewers that may be able to assist me. I live in the South, and I'm interested in law. I have been rejected from all of my schools, so I need an alternative. Do any of you know about career options (other than law) that would be similar. Maybe some sort of politics? I don't really know what to do and thought I'd ask.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard from everyone who applied to graduate school this year, and from several people who work in admissions, that this year was insane in terms of applicants. I know of several schools that had as much as a 700% increase in applicants (a school that normally gets about 150 applicants got over 1000). A lot of people that would have gotten in any other year did not, simply because of the sheer number of applicants.

So first off, I wouldn't for a moment assume that you can't get into law school if you're still interested in that field. One possibilty might be to get your certification as a paralegal and then reapply to law school in a year or two, working at a law firm as a paralegal in the meantime. (This might also give you the opportunity to befriend someone well-connected at a school you'd like to attend.)

What aspect of law is it that interests you? There is such variety to the practice of law that it's difficult to say what a good alternative would be without knowing your specific area of interest.

3. 4 seat

Hey, look on the bright side. I got rejected from all the grad schools I applied to this year too. And while you can do quite a few things with a Bachelor's in political science, you can't do ANYTHING with a bachelor's in psychology. So yes, I feel your pain and then some.

4. s5m1

First, congratulations on graduating college! That is a big accomplishment. As Chip said, there are many more applicants to law school today than in the past, so please don’t take this as a comment on your ability to ultimately become a very successful lawyer. I know many lawyers who had to reapply. I would not look at this as the end of a potential career as a lawyer. Getting practical experience in a job will allow you to reapply to law school, with a more interesting and diverse background, which may give you a leg up on other applicants. So, I suggest you find a job and then reapply in a year or two.

As for what kind of job, there are many options. If you are still interested in ultimately going to law school, I suggest you consider what kind of law you might want to practice to help guide your job search.

The practice of law is very broad, spanning the gamut from courtroom work, to lobbying to putting together business deals. Even within trial work, there are areas that are more business oriented, some that relate to government and others to criminal law. Ask yourself if there are any areas of the law that you think you might be interested in practicing. This can help focus your job search.

If you think you will want to practice criminal law, look for positions with prosecutors or public defenders offices, such as victim/witness coordinator, paralegal or investigator. Look at some of the ancillary agencies that work with the courts, such as police departments (sworn and unsworn support positions), forensic labs, child protective services, etc.

If you are interested in practicing law in specialties dealing with business, almost any type of business experience will be helpful and relevant. You may also want to look for a support position in a law firm, as a paralegal for example.

I interview law students and attorneys all the time and always prefer candidates who had practical, real world experience before going to law school. I think most law firm partners feel the same way. So, don’t look at this delay in entering law school as a setback. Rather, it is an opportunity to make yourself more marketable on a long term basis once you graduate from law school. Just as with law school applicants, as a law school graduate, you will need to find a way to set yourself apart from the rest of the crowd. Real world experience is a great way to do that.