1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

procrastinating

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andr8150, May 24, 2010.

1. Andr8150

well, this is more of a school issue but i was wondering if you guys had any tips. im not that bad in school but im a really big procrastinator, i put things off til the very last minute.
    so do you guys have anytips on how to beat procrastinating? if you do it would help alot.

2. No One

Can't help you there, I do the same thing. I have a 4.0 so I have never really worried about it.

3. paco

paco Guest

small steps? haha i've never been very good at doing homework on time.

but it may be easier to start with only parts of your homework and doing them early. as procrastinators we tend to do entire assignments, even big projects all in one sitting. pick a subject you like and try to do little pieces of it in short sittings. then see how much less stressed you feel, you may end up liking that feeling so in time you may want to do things like that.

course i've never really tried it consistently myself. everyone i know that does assignments and studies in a timely fashion has always done things that way. not saying we cant change, but it's probably not gonna be easy.

4. otc877

otc877 Guest

I am a pretty big procrastinator myself. If it's a really big project that's going to take a long time to finish, I set myself "micro due-dates" where I mark a calendar and have to have a piece of my project done by that date.

Say it's a research paper. I set a due date for when my research will be done. Then, I set another due date for my first page, second page etc. Then another for the bibliography and by the time the real due date approaches I have the majority of the assignment done.

Good luck

5. I'm the worst procrastinator in the world. I can't get anything done on time. It sucks, because I'm a very smart person. I just have major motivational issues. If the work is too easy, it'll be impossible for me to do it. I have the teachers give me harder work so I can actually use my brain. I've been getting better, so I guess that helps (if a lack of challenging work is your problem). I think that I need harder shit to do so I can know that my teachers have faith in me. If they don't have faith in me, I won't try to please them.

I'm such an asshole. I'm sorry if I didn't help at all. :slight_smile:

6. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i know what its like i procrastinate everything i did okay at school came out with a c's on everything expected a's but i never really paid attention never did any homework. you have got to want to achive to do things, or you get to the postion im in where ive been procrastinating for three days to change a shirt with a massive stain on it yep im that lazy. i dont like but i accept it, i dont recomed procrastinating.
    procrastination is like masturbation in the end you just screw your self

7. kettleoffish

I'd write you some advice but I'll do it later.

yeah, I'm really bad for procrastinating too, I have yet to find a good remedy though.

8. Mouse

i am AWFUL at sitting down and doing work, even if i enjoy it. i'm just so unmotivated to do anything. tonight i'm at home cramming for a physics exam tomorrow and i'm on here instead at the moment, doing what i do best, putting it off. with large things... i don't think i have ever fully completed a large thing... ever. i never finished my electronics course work, my music coursework, art coursework... drama coursework was brief... you get the idea. i'm just so dramatically lazy and useless that nothing ever happens. it doesn't help that i have chronic fatigue and spent two months in bed over christmas so i suppose i have an excuse to fall asleep at 5 or 6 every night and not be able to drag my own sorry arse out of bed at a decent time.

the worst thing is, i know how to do it. i'm really quite bright and if i listen in class i can get a decent grade, usually A or B, but i can't help but think, what if i did that little bit extra? all my teachers think i would be on A* if i worked harder... probably true.

i'd better get a better attitude to work for sixth form...

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm a huge procrastinator and no idea how to stop haha
    As long as you do it then there is no real problem, right? (wishfull thinking) xD

I have a 12 page web site do thursday. I haven't started yet.
    Trying to start right now, but will def do most of the work tomorrow haha xD

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Being active helps, both mentally and physically

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The problem with trying to fix procrastination is that you will procrastinate doing it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

As this article says, a good way to help is to setup a reward system. Reinforcing good behavior is a good way to condition yourself to actually change your habits. Just ask Pavlov :grin: .

#11 Swamp56, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  12. Gambit

In the major i'm studying right now it is impossible to procrastinate. What I found very useful is to set up daily goals and write them in a planner; for example, Monday: finish problems 1 through 8 and Tuesday problems 9 through 20. I also give myself rewards after finishing something, for example, 30 minutes of facebook after reading chapters 1 and 2. It is a system that helps me get things ahead of time, be able to check/correct my work before turning it in and get good grades.

13. Sylver

I can be awesome at procrastinating! Heck, I'm doing it right now - I'm posting on EC and I should be working!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Make a plan. Break up your project or objective into bite-sized tasks, list them out on a sheet of paper with an empty box next to each of them and arrange them in order. As you finish each small task check off the box next to it. As you check more and more of the boxes, you will see progress and you'll also see the remaining tasks getting fewer and fewer. Finishing each small task will give you a sense of accomplishment, and before you know it the finished little tasks will add up to a finished big task! :slight_smile:

14. rerocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You need to achieve a state of mind that is in full focus to get work done fastest and most efficiently. When there are a lot of distractions, or if you're just not able to keep that state of mind, you're going to procrastinate. Clear out distractions and find the potential of this intense focus.

Work on slowly lengthening the amount of time you focus on work fully (nothing else!) Right now it could be a minute or two. work it up to a half hour or more. You can be surprised how much you get done then you don't need to procrastinate!

I hope the above makes sense, it's what I learned and use being in a tough major. Biggest problem is when you work with other people you don't have full control over limiting distractions.

An exception could be mindless busywork (you don't need a full, intense focus for busywork). In that case you just have to get into the habit of doing it and listen to something: podcast, radio show, music, pandora, so it is more tolerable/enjoyable. Just lock yourself up somewhere and do it. A library or somewhere where everyone else is working works well.

I quoted the above for emphasis. Overall stress/unhappiness can lead to procrastination and working out is a great way to relieve stress and get the endorphins flowing. If you work a lot throughout the day but at a desk/office/classroom, it's also important to balance the amount of fatigue on your brain and body. Helps with sleep too :slight_smile:

15. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    For simple, short term homework, like math problems or French grammar exercises, I get it done as soon as I get home from school. For more analytical, long term asssignments though, like essays, I try to work on them early or in pieces over several days, but to no avail. I can only ever write a paper in one sitting, and that will only happen the night before it's due.

16. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the same for essays, although when I finish them they're still so kick-ass that I always receive 95%+ for them. :icon_wink

I normally finish quick homework in class, or if not then I take ten minutes out of my evening to complete it. Major projects usually happen during the evenings for a few days before they're due.