1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I add him on MSN?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nanoman, May 24, 2010.

1. nanoman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys, I just wanted to know what you guys think on this subject. I posted a profile on this dating site and I got a message from a guy in his late forties. I'm an Asian in my early twenties and in his message, he said that he was interested in chatting/being friends which I said I wanted in my profile. He said he was particularly attracted by Asians and he had broken up with his Taiwanese boyfriend of seven years. He went on to say that he didn't expect me to become his boyfriend but that he would like to become friends. He made it clear that it completely my choice and that it was okay if I refused him because of his age.

It seems from the message he sent me that he's a decent guy, but I'm just concerned if I should add him in the first place because of the huge age gap. I guess my concern is the gut reaction we all have, the idea that it's this old, white, pedophile with a young Asian fetish or something. I'm absolutely convinced that I will never date this man simply because of the age difference (not that I'm not attracted to older people, it's just that we're in completely different stages of life), but I'm open to the idea of just chatting occasionally. Should I keep an open mind and add him? Or Should I just nip this in the bud and refuse him?

Thanks for the help!

2. paco

paco Guest

not to be mean, but i'd refuse.

it's fine if a guy wants to talk and all, but it sounds like he wants to talk to you because you're asian. and that right there is not a "just friends" attitude. and with that in mind, i'd be concerned about the age gap. not that older people and younger people can't be friends, i make plenty of friends surfing that are 50+, but it's gotta be entirely platonic if that's not the relationship you're in to because it's just a matter of time before the attraction gets the better of him and the flirting starts, and i'm betting you won't like that. i know i'm judging without knowing, but it really is odd for a 50 year old to seek out a 20 year old for friendship on a dating site, there are probably plenty of asian guys his age anyway. but just remember, there's a reason he's on the site.

#2 paco, May 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  3. EM68

If I were you I would hold off on adding him on MSN. Since you are on a dating site then use their email or IM. It will be the best way to proctect yourself. If you talk to him for a bit and feel you can trust him then ad him to MSN.