1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist comments

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katmando, Sep 7, 2007.

1. katmando

My old therapist here said something to me awhile ago and I brought it up my new therapist yesterday. I told him when I was discussing my sexuality with my old therapist I asked what he thought of gay people.

My old therapist said something like this or close to it. "I can't say I have never had a honophobic thought." Everyone has thoughts, but I was a little disappointed that he decided to share this with me. I know I asked, but for someone who was/is struggling it probably isn't the best thing to say.Especially, if you are in that field.

What do you think??

Anyway, I stopped going to him a week later. I could tell by my therapist face that he thought the guy was out of line. I still wonder if it was out of line, or maybe I was being too sensitive.

I also have wanted to add another thing. Once in awhile, I take a med that sedates, then lets me fall to sleep. I don't sleep well at night in general and some days, I just want to sleep. I feel guilty about doing this, but have been doing off and on for awhile. I don't think its terrible, but probably something I should work on not doing.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I wouldn't hold his honesty against him. The important thing is you found somebody new.

3. Jim1454

Like in all professions, some therapists are better than others. I'm glad that you've found a new one you like.

With respect to the sleeping pills, please talk to your doctor about how you're using them and why. There may be something else that you need that would be better at helping you cope with things. Talk to your doctor!

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

With therapists it is sometimes a case of finding one that you can relate to and connect with. That doesn't mean that other therapists are not as good, just that they aren't right for you.

With the sleeping, you should really try to get into a regular pattern. Sleeping during the day will affect your sleep at night so try to avoid it. If you feel sleepy during the day, get yourself a coffee or an energy drink then try to get up and go for a walk or something. Also avoid lying in for ages at weekends as these late nights and late mornings can mess up the sleep pattern you are trying to establish.

Also avoid eating for at least 2-3 hours before you go to bed (eat earlier in the evening). If your stomach is actively digesting food you will have more problems getting to sleep. Also avoid tea, coffee and sugary drinks in the late evening.

If the sleeping pills do not work for you then see your doctor about them and maybe he'll prescribe some different ones or give advise on how best to use them. If they are just ones from a drug store then speak to the pharmacist or whatever professional there as they may suggest a different type. Perhaps look at herbal ones as they tend to have less side effects (though may also be less effective).

5. Kat22

Therapists are human, so they will say things that they may not mean to hurt, scare, confuse, or bother you, but they do. Just as not all of the people you know are your friends, or people you get along with, you won't "click" with every therapist you meet just because they are professionals.

I had a therapist tell me that because I hide my true emotions from most people, and that because I was reserved with what I told him (I didn't trust him at that point, so I couldn't tell him everything) that when I was raped, I probably was sending mixed signals to my attacker. He then went on to tell me that unlike most people who think rape is their fault, that my rape probably was completely my fault! Needless to say, that made my depression even worse, and I promptly stopped seeing him.

If you like your therapist now, tell him about how your last therapist made you feel. Also tell him about your sleep problems. If you two do have a good professional relationship, he probably will have some great advice for you! Good luck!