1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just got an extra push to take action. I'm fucking tired of hiding.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, May 26, 2010.

1. OK, so I had a couple things happen today that seriously made me question the usefulness of staying in the damn closet. I've been there since January of last year, and I think it's about damn time to get out. I'm tired of living as an invisible minority. I feel cheated. I was looking at some videos of interviews with Lt. Dan Choi and others discharged under Don't Ask Don't Tell on YouTube and I was angered. I am disgusted at how this country treats my people. I want to be counted, and I want to show people that gays can be strong, independent people. I also was called a faggot by a kid while I was walking home with a (male, and a very effeminate) friend. I was frustrated by how helpless I was if I wanted to keep my secret. The only way to show the others at school that me and my friend (who I am NOT attracted to at all, even if they probably are queer) aren't dating would be to explain that I'm gay and I have standards. They probably think I'll go for the first queer person I see. This couldn't be further from the truth. I want to feel like I'm in control now, and I don't care what others think. I have 10 days left of school, and I'm going to tell them before the year is over. Even if I come back next year, I want this weight off my shoulders. I don't want to be seen as a coward. I'd rather take whatever shit (even if I get my ass kicked) they'll give me than be a little bitch. If I have to, I'll kick someone's ass. I damn near told the whole class today, and I'll tell them tomorrow if I feel like it. Am I being reckless or am I being courageous? I just want to do the right thing and stop the rumors. I'll do whatever the fuck I can to make people shut up. Everyone already thinks I'm gay, so why am I even trying to hide it? I'm going to do something to make a change. I'm going to make myself a better person, even if others won't like it. I'm not going to be a pussy anymore.

2. Spectre

Wow, uhhh. Red flag statement. I hope you wouldn't seriously treat your friend like that.

3. LOL, that probably sounded a little... wrong. I'm just really pissed off at the moment. I think I'll edit that. It sounds a little mean. But seriously, I'm not attracted to every dude on earth. I'm mad that they think I'm such a man-whore, if that makes any sense. I just want to be understood by my peers. I don't want to be looked down upon.

EDIT: Damn, they won't let me edit my first post. Ugh.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah explain to them that you are gay, but you don't see your friend in that light and that while he's a great guy, he isn't the type of guy you'd date. That probably wouldn't offend him I hope. Or just talk about how just like everyone, you have a type that you like and you're friend just doesn't fit that type. It's better than saying "I have standards" which is just extremely rude.

5. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I would say that you rate him more as a friend and wouldn't ever want to ruin that. Its like the nicest way of saying it.

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that way sometimes too. Good luck coming out! I get that you're mad but don't make your coming out be out of anger... It won't end well. Generally if you're nice to people And act like it's no big deal, they'll act that way too. So be nice and you'll get nice reacions

7. Sylver

Hmm... second one this morning! must be someting in the air, or Wednesday is just a good day to come out... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You also sound like you're pretty close to ready to come out. I feel it's best to make sure that you've fully accepted your sexual orientation, and you seem to be there. Then it gets to the point where you can no longer hide or lie or be ashamed of it and the consequences seem to matter less... and you're there as well. So in my books, you're in the right place to come out to the world!

My advice would be to be strategic about it. Think of it as a marathon rather than a race. You want to pace yourself and make sure that the things you do in the beginning help you with the rest of the process. So find someone (close friend, family) who you know will be supportive and tell them first. See what it's like to come out to someone, what the emotions are, how you get over "the hump" in that critical moment when the mouth is open but the words aren't coming out, how they react... All of these will help you get a feel for the tougher ones that might follow. A good first coming out will also help you build confidence and knowledge that there are people on your side (lots of them actually) and that most people will either take it well or won't care at all.

Then come back here and tell us all about it!! :thumbsup: Good luck!

8. paco

paco Guest

:eusa_clap

i like it.

don't fool yourself, you're not going to stop any rumors, cause that's just how school is--everyone tells rumors about everyone else, BUT at least the rumors about you won't be things people are whispering behind your back and you can set them right, and people will probably believe you because why the hell would anyone lie about being gay right?

#8 paco, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
  9. Alright, I wasn't able to find a way to say it today. I was way too busy, but I think I might say it tomorrow. I'm going to be blunt about it. Subtlety won't help me. Even if I don't do it at school tomorrow, I still might tell my dad. He knows it, and I'm going to be cool about it. I'll just give him distance if it's necessary. If he accepts it without needing that extra time, I'd be really happy. He's said that he doesn't care what my sexuality is (and I'm sure that he's saying that to tell me that it's OK to come out). I don't know how I'll tell my mom (she's in jail right now), but she's also cool with gays. My sister was dating girls when she was my age (even though she was only bi-curious), and my mom had no problem with it at all. She won't have a problem with me. If she does, I'll just move in with my dad. I want to have control now. I don't want to be a coward anymore. I'm trying to be a better person, and this is a very important step towards achieving that goal.

10. Sylver

Don't hyperanalyze things... chances are very good that you'll be wrong or you'll dramatically overestimate their reactions. I'd say if it were possible, step back and look at the facts with a clear mind and you'll probably see the truth about how it will go. But then again having been in your position recently I know how difficult that can be...

11. Sesshomaru

I agree with what Paco said about school and rumors. Rumors will always float around school about things that aren't true. Somewhat like how me and one of my close friends at school (she's a girl) always walk around with our arms linked together so everyone started rumors that we were dating until the rumor finally got around to people who already know I'm gay and if that subject came up they'd say some like, "Dude they're not dating, he's gay xD."
    If everyone is already calling you gay and you are, you have really nothing to lose. I doubt that with people already assuming you're gay finding out that you actually are won't make much of a difference. With that being said, you probably won't have to worry about people wanting to start a physical fight with you.
    As for coming out at the end of the school year I'd say go for it. I was going to follow that same plan this year but Christmas break was just a week away and I just wanted it over with. Based on what you've said so far about your school in this and another of your threads, it might be a common topic for a bit but the interest people have in it dies down after a bit and then you're free to go on with your life without constantly hear people gossip about your sexuality.
    Coming out to your dad may or may not be a good idea. Considering your other situations you're currently dealing with about your parents and coming out to your dad could possibly go over wrong. If you end up staying with him, although you say he's probably going to be okay with it, and he doesn't accept it how you expected then that could lead to an unhappy environment at home. Though if you're absolutely positive that he'll be perfectly fine with it by all means go for it.

#11 Sesshomaru, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010